What can I say about granola? Well making your own is easy peasy, it takes a maximum of 20 minutes to get it all together and about 30 minutes cooking time.
Is that it? No, wait, there’s more. It is packed full of good stuff, it is nutritionally bangin! It’s high in protein, with all those lovely nuts and seeds. Oats, lovely oats, your whole grain wonder food, known for helping reduce cholesterol and balancing those blood sugars. I always buy Irish oats by the way, that’s just the way I roll, and because they are GMO free and the best! Yesee.
Lets talk about the fruits I used here, I used dates that were 100 per cent dates, no added sugar, zero, nada, zilch. Same with the cranberries (ah.. memories of Limerick and Linger) Anyway, watch out when buying dried fruit, read those labels! A lot of dried fruit has added sugar, avoid these if possible.
Granola is a great breakfast for the kiddos as they get that sugar hit they seem to crave at breakfast, but without all the nasty stuff that most kids cereal seems to have these days – again read those boxes!
300g oats (I used Irish organic oats)
40g coconut oil
pinch of sea salt
80ml honey (I used a rich Greek honey)
2tbs organic desiccated coconut
100g dried fruit (40g cranberries 60g chopped dates)
50g seeds (a mix of pumpkin and sunflower)
200g chopped nuts (a mixture of hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds)
- Pre heat oven to 150°C
- Line a large baling tray with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan melt the honey and oil and mix gently, set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, cinnamon, nuts and seeds.
- Add the honey and oil mixture to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking tray and spread out evenly.
- Bake at 150°C for 30 to 35 mins until it is golden brown.
- Set aside to cool down then add the fruit and mix well.
- Store in an airtight jar.
Note: Granola can also be frozen in air tight containers and will keep for several months in the freezer. Ours never lasts that long! Oh, and it’s pretty good with greek or natural yogurt.