Rhubarb season is here again, this time around it’s the field grown rhubarb, and for me it is a sure sign that summer is coming soon. If you have read some of my other posts you will remember that rhubarb has a special place in my food life. I love everything about rhubarb, the shape of it, the big leaves, the smell of it raw or cooked, and oh that the colour! My nan used to make the best rhubarb tarts for us when we were kids, and I love a good crumble. I make a lot of lovely things with rhubarb, like these rhubarb tarts and this crumble is a big favourite in my house, however there is one rhubarb recipe that my family really love and that is a good rhubarb crumble muffin.
These rhubarb crumble muffins went down extremely well, I just about got them photographed when about four of them disappeared! They have just the right combination of sweet and tart from the rhubarb and if you don’t stew the rhubarb too much you should find some lovely little pieces of juicy rhubarb inside. You could leave out the crumble topping if you wish but we all loved it, it adds a lovely little crunch to the muffins with just a tiny hint of salt from the butter.
These rhubarb crumble muffins are really great served warm or cold and will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They are perfect for picnics, lunch boxes, someone I know eats them for breakfast, and they would be a lovely treat for Mother’s day. This recipe is roughly adapted from these Donna Hay Muffins.
- 340g / 12oz rhubarb, ends cut off, washed and chopped into thumb size pieces
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 60ml / ¼ cup of orange juice
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced down the middle
- 100g / ½ a cup of golden castor sugar
- 375g / 2 & ½ cups of self raising flour
- 150g / ⅔ of a cup of soft brown sugar
- 1 level tsp ground ginger
- 1 level tsp cinnamon
- 2 x L free range eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml / ½ a cup of buttermilk
- 125ml / ½ a cup of sunflower oil
- FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 75g / ¾ of a cup of self raising flour
- 2 level tbsp demerara sugar
- 40g / 3tbs butter, cut into cubes
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C / 356 F, I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your own oven.
- Add the rhubarb,vanilla pod, orange zest, orange juice and castor sugar to a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook gently for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While the rhubarb is cooking make the crumble topping, add the flour, sugar to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter then using your finger tips rub the butter into the flour mixture, until you have a rough breadcrumb texture.
- In another large bowl add the flour, spices and sugar and mix well. Make a well in the centre then add the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Using a knife mix everything together, when it's all combined add the rhubarb and mix well. You should have a wet better.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases, drop a large dessertspoon full of the batter into each case. Spoon some of the crumble over each muffin.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 25 - 30 minutes, check with a metal skewer to make sure they are cooked. They should be golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven when cooked, leave them in the tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool down.
- Eat warm or cold.