We’re nearly there friends, nearly there! School finishes in a few hours and then summer officially starts, yay, at last! I’m so looking forward to not having to do the school run for a few weeks, and my girl is so ready for the holidays, school mornings have been a struggle the last few weeks I can tell you. So a few lazy hazy summer days are in order. The weather has been brilliant this week so fingers crossed it stays that way and we get to have a few picnics. Speaking of picnic these aubergine rolls are perfect for a picnic, ready in 30 minutes and full of summery flavours you will be making these all summer 😉
Aubergines are in season right now and I seem to be buying a lot of them! This recipe is one of my favorites though, I’ve been making these for some time, they have evolved from a recipe I found in the first Honestly Healthy cook book, I think I cooked everything from that book and I still go back to it for inspiration sometimes. Unfortunately I can’t find a link to the aubergine rolls in the book but I have included a link to the book if you want to check it out, oh and that’s not an add just so you know.
Anyway my version of this is a simple basil pesto spread on baked aubergine strips, then topped with feta and some juicy sun dried tomatoes, they are really easy to make but turn out quite impressive I think, I mean they look good but they taste amazing. You can make these an hour or two in advance and they taste even better when they have been chilled and all the flavours have had time to get to know each other. Like I mentioned above these aubergine rolls are great for a picnic, they are even better as an appetizer, great as a snack, or perfect for your packed lunch.
Notes: Use vegetarian parmesan to keep it veggie. Can be made up to two hours ahead. Can be chilled for an hour or two to increase the flavour. I like the garlic in these but if you don’t get on with raw garlic you can leave it out.
Aubergine Rolls with Feta & Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 x good sized aubergine , 300g
- 2 tbs olive oil
- A good handful of basil
- 40 g pine nuts
- 40 g parmesan , finely grated (use vegetarian parmesan to keep these veggie)
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g feta
- 8 sun dried tomatoes (in oil), sliced into thin strips
- Cracked black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Slice the aubergine length ways into thin strips, I got 10 strips and including the edges.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper, brush the aubergine on both sides with the olive oil, sprinkle over a little cracked black pepper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. The aubergine should be tender but not browned.
- While the aubergine is baking, make the pesto. Add the basil, parmesan, pinenuts and garlic to a food processor and blitz. Then add the extra virgin olive oil a little at a time while still blitzing.
- When the aubergine is cooked leave to cool for 5 minutes, then spread the pesto over one side, crumble over the feta and add a couple of slices of the sun dried tomatoes.
- Roll the aubergine strips from the skinny side in.
- Stick a skewer in the roll if you wish to keep them in place.