So I promised you some treats, and here you go, these baked apples are really tasty and make for a nice healthy dessert. Filled with Christmas spices, cinnamon, nutmeg and sweet pecans, crunchy walnuts and pumpkin seeds mixed in a little brown sugar and topped off with a little butter these baked apples smell divine when they are cooking. They are best served warm with some greek yogurt if you are keeping it real healthy or some good ice cream if you are splashing out 😉
Even though these apples make a great healthier dessert I think they would also make a great weekend breakfast too, just swap the ice cream for some greek yogurt and you have a super tasty, warming Christmas breakfast that the whole family will love. I use Braeburn apples for this recipe as the are sturdier and won’t fall apart in the heat, I also use an unprocessed light brown sugar 😉
Serves: 6 Time: prep- 15 minutes, cooking 40 minutes
6 large apples
50g pecans, roughly chopped
25g walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tbs pumpkin seeds, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 tbsp light brown sugar,
200 ml water
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- To a small mixing bowl add the nuts, seeds, sultanas and spices and mix well.
- Wash the apples, then with a sharp knife or an apple corer core the apples 3/4 of the way down. To stop them falling over I also slice a little off the bottom of the apples, if you do this make sure you do this first before coring the apples.
- Fill the apples with the nut mixture, top with a little butter and place in a small oven dish. Add 200 ml of water and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Serve hot with greek yogurt, whipped cream or ice cream.