I love Mexican food, and I love salads! So when I can put both those two things together I am in my element. This chicken taco salad has all the flavour of lovely chicken tacos but without the carbs. It’s like having your taco and eating it but …without the tacos and the cheese 😉 To be honest you don’t even miss those with this salad. Juicy baked chicken strips marinated in spices and lime juice with lots of healthy fats from the avocado and that tangy coriander, lime yogurt dressing, this salad went down a treat in my house, even with my lettuce hating daughter! This salad is great for dinner or as a packed lunch, just keep the dressing separate until you are ready to serve.
I cook Mexican food about twice a week and it’s mostly down to my girl. For some reason my daughter has developed a real taste for Mexican food, tacos, fajitas, chilli she loves it all, once I tone down the heat of course. This was hard for me as the hotter the better is sort of my mantra. So it was a learning curve for me to make tacos, or fajitas that taste great but are on the milder side. Also I don’t use store bought taco seasoning as, well it means less additives in our diets which is how I like it. Most store bought seasonings have anti-caking agents such e551 (made from sand btw) or Maltodextrine a starch which is basically sugar, so no thanks, we make our own. Making your own is soooo easy and it’s fun playing around with spices getting the taste just right for your taste buds. So don’t be afraid to mix up those spices!
This taco salad with coriander, lime yogurt dressing is:
- High in protein
- High in fibre
- High in vitamin C
- High in Iron
- Gluten free
- Under 450 calories per portion
Chicken Taco SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 250 g chicken breasts
- For the Marinade:
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbs olive oil + 1 tsp for cooking
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- A pinch of sea salt
- Some freshly ground black pepper
- For the lime and coriander dressing:
- 200 ml plain natural yogurt
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 heaped tbs fresh coriander , chopped
- For the salad:
- I head mini red cos lettuce
- 3 spring onions , chopped
- 100 g cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 avocado , sliced
- Lime wedges
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in a shallow oven proof dish, pour the marinade over the chicken and make sure all the chicken is covered. Leave to marinade for 1 hour.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Make the dressing by adding all the dressing ingredients to a jug then whisk together, leave in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- After an hour if marinading drizzle the chicken with 1 tsp of olive oil and bake in the oven uncovered for 20 minute or until the chicken is cooked. When the chicken is cooked remove from oven cover with tin foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Assemble the salad in a serving dish.
- After resting the chicken for 10 minutes, cut it into slices and drizzle the juice of 1/2 a lime over the cooked chicken slices.
- Top the salad with the chicken slices, extra lime wedges and the dressing.