These parmesan courgette fritters are tasty, easy to make and a great way to get kids eating more vegetables, because that is the real mission in life isn’t it? Getting those kids eating more vegetables 😉 Well you’ll have no problem with these fritters and I can vouch for that, there was a race to get that last fritter!
Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside these fritters barely made it in front of the camera. They even smell great before you cook them so watch out for hungry little hands grabbing them before they reach the table. They’re great for lunch with a salad or as a side for a more substantial dinner.
I used Lemon Thyme with this recipe because since we’ve come back from Cornwall my herb garden seems to have exploded with Lemon Thyme, and you just don’t know how amazing this is, because I seem to kill anything green and leafy! But if you don’t have lemon thyme you can substitute in some regular thyme.
Yield: Makes 16 fritters, serves 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes
3 Good sized Courgettes, grated
100g Parmesan, grated (Or a vegetarian substitute)
6 Spring Onions, sliced
80g Plain Flour
1 Clove of Garlic, minced
A small bunch of Lemon Thyme, leaves picked
1 Large Free Range Egg, beaten
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Black Pepper, freshly ground
Lemon Wedges to serve
For the Yogurt Sauce:
4 Tbs Full Fat Greek Yogurt
1 Clove of Garlic, minced
Zest of half a Lemon
- Make the yogurt buy mixing the lemon zest and garlic into to greek yogurt, season and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grate the courgette, drop them into a colander and add a little salt, leave them to drain while you prepare the other ingredients. I left them for about 15 minutes.
- To a large bowl add the parmesan, spring onions, garlic, lemon thyme leaves, a pinch of sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper, mix well.
- Squeeze the courgette one hand full at a time and add to the bowl with the other ingredients. Add the egg and mix well. Now add the flour and mix again.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan over a medium heat, drop a tablespoon of the courgette mixture into the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes each side. Try not to overcrowd the pan, I cooked 3 at a time.
- Keep the fritters warm by placing them on a lined baking tray in a pre heated oven until all the fritters are cooked. Place them on some kitchen paper to remove any excess oil before serving.
- Serve with the lemon garlic yogurt, some lemon wedges and a green salad.
Notes: You really need to squeeze as much water as possible out of the courgettes otherwise you could end up with some very mushy fritters! Also I used a ceramic pan to cook these 😉