Comfort food, it needs to be warm and creamy and full of flavour right? Usually, in my house comfort food also means pasta. A big bowl of piping hot pasta. This creamy chicken and mushroom tagliatelle fills all those comfort cravings. Chicken, mushroom and courgettes, cos yes to some green, all covered in a creamy garlic, parmesan and tarragon sauce! But here’s the thing, no double cream, in fact no cream at all. Yep, we’re making this creamy sauce a little lighter.
So by now I guess we’re all running around like crazy people trying to get organized for Christmas? Or is that just me? The next few weeks are super busy for me and that’s mostly being a taxi service to my little lady 😉 So dinner needs to be quick! This creamy pasta dish is a tried and tested recipe that never fails to satisfy the whole family, no yucky supermarket sauces and on the table in 30 minutes. Perfect for a winter’s evening and a real comfort for the kids after school, this creamy chicken and mushroom tagliatelle will become a real family favourite.
Serves: 4 Time: 30 minutes
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 medium shallots (60g) sliced
1 courgette (200g) cut into half slices
150g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
a small handful of fresh tarragon
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs plain flour
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbs creme fraiche
40g parmesan cheese, finely grated
350g whole wheat tagliatelle (dry weight)
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
- While you’re water for the water to boil, heat the oil in a large pan, add the shallots and cook over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, Then add the chicken and cook for about five minutes.
- Add the pasta to the water and cook according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the mushrooms and courgettes to the chicken and cook for another minute.
- Add the flour, mustard and creme fraiche to the pan and cook for about a minute, making sure all the chicken and vegetables are coated in the mixture.
- Now start adding a large spoon of water from the cooking pasta to the chicken mixture, do this one at a time mixing it in as you go. I added 6 large spoons of water. When you have the consistency you like add 3/4 of the grated parmesan and the tarragon and stir well. Season with a pinch of sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Turn off the heat.
- When the pasta is cooked transfer it to the creamy chicken and mix well, serve with a little extra parmesan, some chopped tarragon and a sprinkling of black pepper.