The great British summer is getting everyone down, there is very little in the way of sun filled days and blue skies at the moment. But fear not, this cumin roasted aubergine and quinoa salad will brighten up even the gloomiest of days. Not only that but you’ll also be getting all of your 5 a day in just one meal! Result! What’s not to love about this summer salad? It’s a salad that hits the comfort button too, with warmly spiced, meaty, roasted aubergine, creamy feta and then you have all the freshness of raw beets, carrots with a little crunchiness of the courgette, this is a super summer salad!
I’m not going to go on about the weather but seriously, where is summer?? We actually have a severe weather warning in place for this evening, yep, lots of rain on the way! I’m hoping it’s not too bad though as we have my daughter’s sports day tomorrow, fingers crossed the field doesn’t get too soggy or it may turn into a welly throwing competition 😉 In other news we’re waiting patiently for the school holidays to start and summer or not,I’m looking forward to some lazy days and trips away, we still have so much more exploring to do in England, we can’t wait to get out there. So just in case you’re wondering, I’ll still be posting at least once a week for the holidays so don’t go away x
This cumin roasted aubergine and quinoa salad with dressing is:
- Under 250 calories per serving
- High in Fibre
- High in Protein
- High in Vitamin C
- High in Vitamin A
- Low in Carbs
- Low in Saturated Fat
This salad would be great for a dinner party, or make it ahead and have it for packed lunch or a picnic. It will keep in the fridge for a day or two.
Notes: I didn’t mix the beetroot in with the quinoa salad as it does turn everything pink! If you don’t mind this then go ahead and add it to the quinoa when you add the rest of the vegetables 😉
Cumin Roasted Aubergine & Quinoa Salad
- FOR THE CUMIN ROASTED AUBGERINE
- 1 x Aubergine (250g) topped and tailed and cut into rounds about 1cm thick
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbs olive oil
- FOR THE QUINOA SALAD
- 100 g quinoa (dry weight)
- 50 g raw beetroot , grated
- 2 carrots (150g), grated
- 1 medium courgette (180g), cut into small cubes
- 1 small red onion (80g), cut in half & finely sliced
- A good handful of coriander , chopped + more for garnishing
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 80 g feta , crumbled (optional)
- A little freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt
- FOR THE YOGURT DRESSING:
- 150 ml plain natural yogurt
- 1 large clove of garlic , minced
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C ( I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust the temperature according to your oven)
- Make the yogurt dressing by adding the yogurt to a small bowl, stir in the lemon juice and garlic, season with the sea salt and black pepper. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a pan over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, tossing the seeds in the pan every now and again. When toasted crush the seeds in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the olive oil to the crushed cumin seeds and mix well.
- Brush the aubergine rounds on each side with the cumin oil mixture and place on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- While the aubergine is roasting cook the quinoa and then let it cool.
- Add the cooled quinoa to a large mixing bowl, add the carrot, courgette, onion, coriander, salt, pepper and lemon juice and mix well.
- To serve, place the quinoa mixture on a large serving dish, scatter the beetroot around the quinoa, top with the cooked aubergine and then sprinkle over the feta. You can garnish with a little chopped coriander and lemon wedges on the side.