You know when you want something light, but filling, something healthy and fresh, but like really tasty? That’s how I was feeling when I pulled together these Harissa prawns with jewelled quinoa. I really needed something fresh and healthy, something to make me feel good. You know that feeling you get when you’ve eaten something really healthy and it makes you feel like you’ve got it all under control? Well I needed that. These Harissa prawns are full of warm spiciness yet not spicy hot, the quinoa is crunchy and lemony with a hint of garlic and then there is a little sweetness from the pomegranate seeds. The Harissa yogurt is optional, but goes very well with the prawns, so it’s worth giving it a go. This recipe could serve 3 people but to be honest I made it for myself and my husband, thinking I would have a portion left over but no, it disappeared quite quickly 😉
We’ve been really busy lately, busier than usual, which is great, I love being sociable, I am a gemini after all, but all this fun comes with a price, I’m starting to feel a little tired and I feel the need to slow down, just a little bit 😉 So my answer to feeling tired is always get more sleep first of all and then I turn to food, food to give me energy, to make me feel good. Now I know some people have had enough of quinoa and think it’s a bit of a faddy food, but I disagree, quinoa’s high nutritional content makes this seed worthy of a place on my plate as far as I’m concerned. It has twice the protein content of rice or barley, is a very good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese and it has good levels of several B vitamins – good for when you are feeling a bit worn out. Quinoa is also high in fibre and is a slow release carbohydrate, giving you more energy over time, exactly what I need right now.
These harissa prawns with jewelled quinoa & harissa yogurt are:
- Under 400 calories per portion
- High in protein
- High in fibre
- High in vitamin C
- Low in saturated fat
- High in vitamin B12
- High in Selenium
Harissa Prawns with Quinoa
- FOR THE HARISSA PRAWNS
- 225 g responsibly sourced raw , shelled king prawns, deveined
- 2 heaped tbsp harissa
- Juice of half a medium lemon
- FOR THE QUINOA
- 100 g quinoa , I used mixed seed quinoa
- 100 g red onion , finely chopped
- Half a large courgette (120g) chopped
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 50 g pomegranate seeds , (half a pomegranate)
- 1 tbs chopped coriander
- Juice of half a lemon
- FOR THE HARISSA YOGURT
- 125 ml plain natural yogurt
- 1 tsp harissa
- Lemon wedges and some freshly ground black pepper to serve
- In a bowl mix the harissa and lemon juice, add the prawns and gently toss in the harissa mixture, make sure all the prawns are completely covered. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make the harissa yogurt by stirring in the harissa into the yogurt and leave in the fridge until you need it.
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions, when it's cooked drain it and leave it to cool.
- When the quinoa has cooled a little add the red onion, pomegranate seeds, courgette, garlic, coriander and lemon juice, mix everything together.
- Heat a griddle pan, add the prawns and cook them until they go pink and are cooked through, about 3 minutes each side.
- Place the quinoa in a serving dish, top with the prawns. Serve with lemon wedges, freshly ground black pepper and the harissa yogurt.