It’s National Vegetarian week here in the UK so I have some lovely veggie recipes for you. First up is this Harissa roasted aubergine with chickpeas and quinoa. I really can’t get enough of Harissa at the moment, I’m sort of glad though that it comes in little pots as I think I could put it on absolutely everything! Aubergine is particularly good with Harissa, it soaks into the flesh of the aubergine and gives it just the right amount warmth for me. The chickpeas are roasted in smoked paprika and then added to quinoa with garlic, red onion and cumin. It’s all topped off with some little bursts of sweetness from the pomegranate seeds and a little tang from the lemon wedges, making for a very lovely Moroccan style lunch for two.
You’re probably thinking, hang on, there are meat recipes on this here blog, what’s gong on? Well if you’ve read my bio you’ll see that I was a vegetarian for some time and I still cook a lot of vegetarian food for my family. I think that National Vegetarian Week is a great way to get inspired and try some new veggie dishes, whether you are vegetarian or not. Hey, even if you just try it for a week or a day, or you do Meat Free Mondays you may find that it sits well with you. Give it a go and see how you get on, if you do I’d love to hear how it went for you. There are lots of vegetarian recipes on this here blog, so just hit up the search button to find them x
So, this Harissa roasted aubergine with chickpeas and quinoa is :
- High in fibre
- High in protein
- High in Iron
- Gluten Free
- Vegan if you omit the yogurt
Harissa Roasted Aubergine with Chickpeas & Quinoa
- 1 large aubergine (350g) cut in half lengthways
- 2 tsp of Harissa
- 2 - 3 tsp + 1tbs of olive oil
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas , rinsed
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- A small pinch of sea salt
- 80 g of quinoa , I used a mixed seed quinoa
- Half a medium red onion (80g), finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Pomegranate seeds , from half a pomegranate
- A small handful of coriander leaves
- Some yogurt to serve (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C (I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your oven)
- Using a sharp knife cut lines diagonally across the aubergine flesh, repeat in the opposite direction so you have diamonds.
- Mix the Harissa with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, place the aubergines skin side down on a baking tray. Brush the Harissa mixture over the aubergine flesh, drizzle with a little more olive oil and then cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the aubergine is soft.
- Meanwhile add the chickpeas to a baking tray, add the smoked paprika, sea salt and 1 tablespoon of oil, give it a good shake so that all the chickpeas are covered in the smoked paprika. Then cook in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes. When they are nice and crispy set them aside until you are ready to use them.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions.
- When the quinoa is done, add the onion, cumin, black pepper, garlic and chickpeas and mix well.
- Serve the roasted aubergine on a bed of the chickpea quinoa, top with pomegranate seeds, some coriander leaves, lemon wedges and a good spoon of yogurt if using.