Jersey Royals are in season right now, and these little gems are a little bit special, like asparagus they have a short season and are very worthy of a place on your plate. So what makes Jersey Royals so special? Well they have been grown on the island of Jersey for over 130 years, they are grown on the island’s sloping land where they are fertilised by the seaweed, called Vraic, which washes up on the shores of Jersey’s beautiful beaches. When it’s time to harvest the potatoes, this is done mostly by hand, the potatoes are carefully checked and are handled with care, like a precious gem waiting to be transported.
Jersey holds a special place for me, it’s the place I went to when my grandfather died, where I made some amazing friends, where I met my lovely husband, where my beautiful daughter was born, where we got married. All these things make me want to up sticks and run back to Jersey every now and again, and then I remember that most of my friends from there have left Jersey and are scattered around the world now. Still, I will bring my girl back there to see the beaches we spent so much time on when she was little.
Anyway this salad! It’s a lighter potato salad, made without mayo but with a whole grain mustard dressing. Don’t get me wrong I love an old fashioned potato salad with all the mayo, it’s just I think that Jersey Royals deserve more. They need to shine in a salad and this salad does just that. Potatoes also deserve butter, what can I say I’m Irish! So I have tossed these Jersey Royals in some parsley and some Irish butter first 😉 then served with rocket, peppery fennel and red onion all smothered in a lemony whole grain mustard dressing. This potato salad is great as a side to grilled fish or chicken, but to be honest it can totally stand on it’s on and that’s how we had it.
This Jersey Royal Salad with Rocket and Mustard Dressing is :
- High in fibre
- Low in fat
- High in vitamin C
- 250 calories per portion
- Naturally gluten free
- Ready in under 30 minutes
Notes: Fennel oxidises so if you are letting it sit around for a while it is best to pop it in a bowl of water with a little lemon juice to stop it from going brown.
Jersey Royal Potato Salad with Rocket
- FOR THE SALAD
- 500 g Jersey Royals (or any salad potato)
- Half a bulb of fennel (100g), topped, tailed and thinly sliced
- Half a red onion (50g), thinly sliced
- 1 tbs capers , rinsed
- 60 g rocket
- 1 heaped tbs chopped parsley
- 1 tsp butter
- A little lemon juice
- FOR THE DRESSING
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaped tbs whole grain mustard
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- A small pinch of sea salt
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and half the bigger ones length ways, place in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- While the potatoes are cooking make the dressing, whisk the lemon juice, mustard and vinegar in a bowl. Then slowly whisk in the oil, one tablespoon at a time. When it haas emulsified stir in the salt and black pepper. Set aside until you are ready to use.
- When the potatoes are cooked drain them and leave them to dry for a couple of minutes. In a bowl add the butter and parsley, add the dry potatoes to this bowl and and gently toss the potatoes so they are all coated in the butter and parsley.
- Add the rocket, red onion, fennel and capers to a large salad dish or serving plate, add the potatoes and gently toss everything together. Serve with the dressing.