It feels like Spring has finally sprung here in Ely, blossoms are appearing on trees and daffodils are sprouting up in gardens everywhere. It feels slightly warmer and we are definitely getting more sunshine after what has felt like a long winter. So, this time of year I no longer feel the need for hearty stews, soups and the like. I start thinking of lighter, fresher food.
This is a super quick, tasty, healthy lunch you can make in under 30 minutes. It is vegetarian and gluten free and makes a nice light lunch for two. It also works well as a side with some nice steamed fish or grilled chicken.
Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wa”) is a great addition to any diet, it’s a whole grain, high in fibre and protein. It can be found it most supermarkets. Kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods around, it has a very high content of vitamin K, C and beta carotene an anti-oxidant that the body can turn into vitamin A.
Vegetarian, Gluten free.
100g Kale, washed and chopped
100g quinoa, rinsed in cold water
1/2 tsp vegetable bouillion
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
10 pitted black olives, sliced
50g feta cheese.
1 clove of garlic crushed
zest of 1/2 a lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 red chilli sliced (optional)
red chilli flakes (optional)
- Start by making your quinoa, place the quinoa in a large saucepan add the vegetable bouillon and cover with 300ml of water.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes drop the kale and garlic in over the quinoa, cover and steam for about 10 minutes.
- When the kale is bright green and the quinoa is cooked turn off the heat.
- To the saucepan add the onion, olive, lemon zest, the lemon juice and crumble in the feta.
- Gently mix all the ingredients together, try to not mix it to much or to hard as it may turn mushy.
- Serve with some chilli flakes/ freshly sliced chilli, a pinch of sea salt, some freshly cracked black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.