It wouldn’t be Christmas without a Brussels sprout so, today I have a Christmas side of Brussels sprouts, maple roasted, with cranberries, toasted pecans and a hint of orange. I think we have all moved on from badly boiled sprouts by now, and roasting sprouts is the way to go, especially if you have sprout haters in your house like me! This way of cooking sprouts, and in fact this recipe may just convert those folk.
However, I have had a conversation on Instagram, as you do, with an old school friend of mine who told me that whether or not you like sprouts was down to genetics! Who knew??! Now this would make sense to me, as both my husband and daughter are sprout deniers. But I like to think you can beat genetics on some things and sprout preferences are definitely one 😉 By the way, I’m not just saying this but they did actually eat these sprouts, and without pressure from me 😉 Have a great weekend friends and wish me luck, as I still have Christmas shopping to do this weekend, Arrrrgh.
Time : 40 mins Serves : 4-5
600g Brussels sprouts, washed and large ones halved
100g fresh cranberries
Zest of half a large orange
2 tbs maple syrup
2 tbs olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
A little freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Place the sprouts on a large baking tray, add the orange zest, olive oil and maple syrup, give it a little shake and cook in the oven for 3o minutes, checking it after 15 minutes and giving it another shake.
- Now toast the pecans in a small pan for about 5 minutes, giving them a shake every minute.
- After cooking the sprouts for 30 minutes, add the cranberries and pecans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with a little sea salt, black pepper and a squeeze of orange if you like.