It’s that time of year again, asparagus season! My fave time of year, the start of all the lovely spring veggies popping up, the evenings getting lighter and the temperature climbing, well a little bit, like 4 degrees, maybe, fingers crossed. So, I had a little week off last week, we were all off together and it was great! We had lots of days out, Easter egg hunts, cycle trips and picnics! Bliss! It’s the first time since I started blogging that I’ve done this and it was so good to have the break, I feel energized and inspired and now I’m back, I have loads of good stuff coming your way, starting with this Roast Asparagus, Parma Ham and Poached Egg recipe.
I was asked by the lovely people at Cambridge Edition for my favorite asparagus recipe and this is it, roast asparagus, parma ham and poached egg. This is my all time favorite way to eat asparagus, think sweet roasted asparagus with a dash of lemon, wrapped in crispy parma ham and topped off with a soft poached egg, some shavings of parmesan and lots of black pepper, so good, you’ll be making this for the next 3 months 😉 This a recipe I came up with this time last year, you can see it here, I’ve changed it a little bit but essentially it is the same recipe, only a little bit better. So if you’ve been following the blog from the start you may remember it. This recipe is great for a weekend breakfast, brunch or a light lunch, it is also very easy to up the quantity for more people.
Asparagus season runs from April to June, it’s a short enough season so grab them when you can and don’t forget to buy local. Asparagus have very few calories but are packed full of goodness, particularly Vitamin A, Folic Acid and dietary fibre. It is also a prebiotic food, which helps feed the good bacteria in your gut, helping to keep your gut healthy and happy. They are also known to be an aphrodisiac, but hey, I couldn’t possibly comment on that!
This roast asparagus, parma ham & poached egg recipe is:
- High in protein
- High in fibre
- Low Carb
- Naturally Gluten Free
- Only 188 calories per portion
Roast Asparagus, Parma Ham & Poached EggPrint Rate
- 8 asparagus spears
- 2 slices of Parma ham
- 2 large free range eggs
- Zest & juice of half a small lemon
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 small tbs of olive oil
- 1 small tsp of vinegar (I used malt vinegar)
- A litlle freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C
- Wash the asparagus, trim off any hard woody ends.
- Place 4 spears of asparagus on one slice of parma ham and place on a foil lined baking tray, repeat.
- Drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice over the asparagus then wrap the parma ham around the spears.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the asparagus is roasting poach the eggs.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil, reduce the heat until the water is barely simmering. Whisk the water until there is a vortex, add a small teaspoon of vinegar, break one egg into a ramekin dish and then pour gently into the saucepan. If you want a runny poached egg let it cook for 3 minutes. Remove egg, place on kitchen paper to dry off a little.
- Serve asparagus topped with egg, some parmesan shavings, a little lemon zest and some black pepper.