Beets! A true superfood, full of powerful antioxidants, high in vitamin C, fibre, essential minerals and folic acid. You want these in your diets friends. They are in season now so buy them raw and roast them, steam them or grate them into a salad. A bundle of beets is cheap as chips right now and you could get at about two meals out of one bunch.
I’ve used two types of beet here but this roasted beet recipe works great with just one type if you like. I love the mix of colors in this dish it’s like Autumn on a plate, it makes me happy! Just what I need on a grey September day. I also love making vegetables the star attraction of a meal, maybe it’s the old vegetarian in me 😉
This dish works great as a lunch or as a main meal, it’s really easy to scale it up to serve more too. Perfect for meat free Mondays, but hey any day is good for this dish. Add the feta as soon as you can and it gets nice and warm and slightly melted, and then you have the crunch of the walnuts and more earthiness with the roasted garlic! Oh and that pink quinoa well my girl loved that! Top it all off with a good squeeze of lemon juice and you’re done.
Serves:4 Time:40 minutes
350g Red Beetroot
200g Golden Beetroot
1 Red Onion, cut into wedges
3 or 4 Cloves of Garlic, skin on
Small Bunch of Thyme
3 Tbs Rapeseed Oil
50g Walnuts, chopped
1/2 Lemon (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Wash and clean the beets with a vegetable brush if you have one. Top and tail them but leave the skin on, cut into wedges and place on a large baking tray with the onion, garlic, thyme, a pinch of sea salt and a little freshly ground black pepper, add the oil mix well and cook for about 30 minutes, until the beets are tender.
- Make the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa, then add to a medium saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil then reduce to simmer and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork when cooked.
- When the vegetables are done add them to a large serving tray, then add the walnuts and crumble in the feta.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice.