Before we head into warmer weather, she said with hope in her heart, I want to share this spicy chicken and asparagus stir fry with you. Soon all I will want to make is light and fresh summery dishes, but at the moment it is still quite chilly here in Elyland and I still have a craving for food that is on the comfort side of the food scale. And as we have about a month and a bit left of Spring and asparagus season is slipping away, I wanted to make one more asparagus dish for you, then I need to rein in my asparagus buying.
This spicy chicken and asparagus stir fry is quick and easy to make, made with simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen. This is the kind or dinner I like to make when I don’t really feel like cooking, or when I’m short on time, having said that the longer you leave the chicken to marinate the better but 30 minutes will also work great. This recipe has sort of turned into a date night dinner for me and Mr.A, our Friday nights used to be pizza night for us all but lately I have been feeling like I need to take a little break from the pizza for a while, you know so I can still fit into my jeans! Anyway we still do movie night, only now Mr.A and I have a nice healthy stir fry.
I love a good stir fry, they’re so easy to pull together, you don’t need a huge list of ingredients and they can be really healthy or a little bit naughty, this one is on the healthy side. It’s also on the spicy side but you can adjust the heat according to your own taste, just use less chilli for less of a kick, more if you’re brave enough, it’s that easy. I would omit the chilli altogether if you are making this for kids, you can always add a little pinch of dried chilli flakes when cooked if you can’t live without the heat. This recipe is just enough for 3 people, 2 if you’re really hungry, it’s easy to double it up though if you need to serve it for more. Enjoy x.
Need a seafood stir fry? Try this King Prawn & Edamame Stir Fry
Need a meat free stir fry? Try this Baked Miso Glazed Tofu with Stir Fried Veggies
For a full list of stir fry dishes on The Last Food Blog check out this page.
Spicy Chicken & Asparagus Stir Fry
- 350 g / 3/4 lb free range chicken breasts , cut into bite size pieces
- FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 tbs tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tbs roasted sesame oil
- 1 fat clove of garlic , minced
- FOR THE STIR FRY
- 125 g / 4.5oz asparagus , cleaned and cut into bitesize pieces
- 150 g / 2/3 cup of chestnut mushrooms , wiped clean and sliced
- 3 spring onions (scallions) sliced diagonally
- 1 fat clove of garlic , thinly sliced
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger , peeled and finely grated
- 1 medium red chilli , finely sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbs roasted sesame oil
- A small squeeze of lemon juice.
- FOR SERVING:
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Slices of red chilli pepper
- Chopped spring onions
- Place the chicken in a bowl or plastic food bag with the marinade ingredients, rub the sauce into the chicken and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a wok over a medium heat, add the chicken and stir fry until cooked through. Remove the cooked chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe the wok clean, heat the wok to medium hot then add 1 tbs of olive oil, add the garlic, and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Then add the chilli and spring onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, add a splash of oil if the pan gets too dry.
- Now add the asparagus and cook for about 2 minutes, then return the chicken to the wok, add the tamari/soy sauce, sesame oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir fry until the chicken and sauce is hot, serve immediately with rice, quinoa or noodles and top with sesame seeds, spring onion slices and red chilli slices.