Looking for a weeknight dinner that is super tasty, mostly healthy and ready in under 30 minutes? Say hello to these spicy shrimp tacos with mango salsa and red cabbage. These shrimp tacos are so easy to make and are perfect for those evenings when you find yourself short on time but you still want something tasty. You know those evenings when you look at your watch and realise you really need to get the dinner on super quick or it will be bedtime soon!
This is how most of our weeknights are going at the moment, we have year six SATs next week and there is a little bit of revising going on in the evenings. Not that we are going crazy with the whole SATs thing, I’m not really keen on the idea of my 10 year old doing state exams, in fact if we could opt out then that would definitely be our plan but it’s not an option, unfortunately. So we’re playing it down a bit and not putting too much pressure on our girl. I think though, that I am probably more anxious for her than she is, exams still make me anxious! See this is why I’m not keen on testing for primary school kids, that stuff stays with you!
Anyway I could go on and on about SATs and my complete dislike of them but this is a food blog and I know you are here for these shrimp tacos, it’s ok, I know. So these spicy shrimp tacos are spicy yes, but how spicy you go is completely up to you, I went with a medium to hot spiciness for these. If you like things a bit more fierce, then add more jalapeño when you add the garlic, if you are serving these for the kids too then please omit the tequila and follow the rest of the recipe, if the kids aren’t too keen on that much heat then omit the jalapeño altogether.
The mango salsa that goes with these shrimp tacos is seriously tasty, I think I could just eat that on it’s own to be honest! You may have some left over, if you do then cover it and keep it in the fridge for a day or two, it’s really great with grilled chicken or fish. You may also have some red cabbage left over, again this will keep in the fridge, covered for about 3 to 4 days, use it for salads, or sandwiches. This meal easily comes together in under 30 minutes, I use frozen shrimp that is already deveined, topped and tailed and this definitely saves time, you could also prep the salsa and cabbage before hand which would save you even more time. Here’s to quick weeknight dinners! Enjoy!
Fancy a veggie taco? Check out these Harissa Baked Cauliflower Tacos.
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
- 225 g frozen shrimp , heads and tails removed and deveined, I used frozen king prawns
- 1 fat clove of garlic , minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- A splash of tequila , I used about 2 tbs (optional)
- FOR THE MANGO SALSA
- I ripe mango
- 1/2 red onion (80g) finely chopped
- 1/4 of a jalapeño pepper finely chopped , more if you want it hotter.
- 2 tbs freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
- The juice of one lime
- A pinch of sea salt
- FOR THE RED CABBAGE
- 200 g red cabbage , sliced thinly
- The juice of one small lime
- A pinch of sea salt
- FOR THE TACOS
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- Coriander leaves
- Jalapeño slices
- Start off my making the mango salsa. Cut the mango into small chunks and place in a bowl, add the onion, coriander, lime and salt. Mix well then leave in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- Make the red cabbage by adding the cabbage to a bowl with the lime and salt. Leave in the fridge until ready to use.
- Heat the tortillas in a dry pan, wrap in a cloth to keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium heat, add the garlic and spices and cook for one minute. Turn up the heat then add the prawns and tequila, turn the heat down and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the shrimp turns pink and is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with the tortillas, red cabbage and mango salsa. Top with avocado, coriander leaves, lime wedges and slices of jalapeño.