I love a good pasta salad, they are one of the easiest things to make and they can be made as quickly as it takes the pasta to cook. The other thing I love about pasta salads it that they are super versatile, you don’t really need to think too hard about it, pasta + veg + dressing and you have a satisfying, delicious meal on the table in no time, done! This Spring vegetable pasta salad is one of my favourites, it comes together really quickly and celebrates all the goodness of Spring, with asparagus, broad beans and courgette.
I know I shared an asparagus recipe with you the other day but I wanted to share another way to use asparagus with you. As much as I love grilled and roast asparagus, lightly steamed and added to pasta is sometimes the only way my girl will eat it. I have used regular bow-tie pasta here but feel free to sub in a whole wheat pasta or whatever pasta you have in your cupboard. I usually cook whole wheat pasta, we just had a load of pasta left over from a couple of sleep-overs so it needed to be used up. I used broad beans ( Fava beans ) in their pods for this recipe but you could use frozen beans if you can’t get your hands on fresh beans, this will also save you time. I like popping the pods and shelling the beans though, I find it slightly therapeutic. It’s also a fun thing to do with kids, I have fond memories of doing exactly this with my Nan. It’s the simple things that stick in our heads I think.
I served this with a parmesan cheese but little chunks of feta would be great here too. This Spring vegetable pasta salad is great for a quick weeknight dinner, it would also be great for bbq’s, pot lucks and picnics too and if you have any leftover pack it up for lunch. This pasta salad will keep in the fridge for two days, just make sure it’s covered. Want to add some meat to it? Parma ham works great, crispy Parma ham even better. Have a great weekend x
Spring Vegetable Pasta Salad
- 250 g Farfalle Pasta
- 150 g asparagus tips , any knobbly bits shaved off
- 400 g broad bean pods which will give you about 120g broad beans , see instructions
- 150 g courgette , shaved into ribbons
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- The zest and juice of one medium lemon
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs pine nuts , toasted
- A small handful of fresh basil leaves
- A pinch of sea salt
- Vegetarian parmesan and cracked black pepper to serve.
- Cook the pasta, drain and set aside to cool. When the pasta is cooled add the oil, sea salt, black pepper and garlic and mix gently.
- To cook the broad beans, split the pods and remove the beans. Bring a medium pan of water to the boil then add the beans and cook for a minute, remove to an ice bath and then remove the husks from the beans. Set aside until you are ready to use.
- Steam the asparagus, then cut into thirds,
- Add the beans, asparagus, courgette, basil leaves and toasted pine nuts to the pasta with the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix gently.
- Serve with a good helping of shaved parmesan and more cracked black pepper.
Need more Asparagus recipes? Check out these delicious recipes!