It’s official! The first day of Spring is here and Easter is fast approaching, I can smell the chocolate from here 😉 Well it’s probably because we made this strawberry and pistachio chocolate bark. We’ve all been ill with a nasty virus (hence my posts have been irregular this week) so as soon as there were signs of recovery I went straight into the kitchen to make some treats, because chocolate makes everything better, right? I have been seeing some beautiful posts and videos of chocolate bark and have been waiting patiently to make this one. We had great fun making it, it’s ridiculously easy to make with impressive results.
Made with toasted quinoa, yep I said quinoa, well I’m keeping it sort of healthy here, quinoa is a seed so why not use it as such, I toasted the quinoa to give it a nutty taste and it gives the bark a lovely crunch. I also used freeze dried strawberries, make sure they are 100% strawberry with no added sugar and the pistachios are not salted or roasted. This bark is great as a gift for friends at Easter or just a fun thing to make with the kids to keep them entertained during the holidays. I have a feeling that we will be making lots of this 😉
- 300 g good quality dark chocolate , 70% cocoa
- 100 g good quality white chocolate
- 30 g quinoa
- 50 g pistachios , roughly chopped
- 20 g freeze dried strawberries , chopped
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Heat a small frying pan, add the quinoa, keep flipping the quinoa until it is toasted, about 7 minutes. It will should be golden brown and you should smell a nutty aroma.
- Melt both the white and the dark at the same time.
- Start with the dark chocolate, break the chocolate into a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Stir continuously until the chocolate is almost completely melted, carefully take the bowl off the pan and continue stirring until it is 100% melted. The reason for taking it off the heat before it is completely melted is to prevent the chocolate from getting too hot as it will split. Repeat for the white chocolate.
- Add the toasted quinoa to the melted dark chocolate and stir well. Pour the dark chocolate onto the parchment paper, swirl it around gently until it fills most of the paper.
- Pour the white chocolate over the dark and with a small wooden skewer or toothpick swirl the white chocolate into the dark.
- Scatter the nuts and strawberries over the chocolate and very gently press them into the chocolate.
- Place the bark in the fridge for 20 minutes until it is hard, break it up with a sharp knife.
- This will keep for about 3 days, longer in the fridge.