Who doesn’t love a good pasta salad? They are the perfect summer weeknight dinner, great for picnics and any pot luck worth it’s salt will have at least one pasta salad, right? Well this tomato & chorizo orzo salad is no different, ready in 30 minutes, with minimum cooking and maximum results! This went down really well in my house, they couldn’t get enough of it, especially my daughter who would happily live off pasta every single day. She is also a tomato lover, especially if said tomatoes come in a variety of colours, so this pasta salad was right up her street.
Tomatoes are a little bit of a contentious subject in our house, I love them and have done since I was a kid, happily eating them like a peach or between two slices of bread with just a scraping of salad cream, yes tomato sandwiches made me happy as a kid. My daughter only likes them raw and uncooked, sometimes in a salad sandwich, a bit like her mum really, my husband only likes them cooked! So when I brought all these tomatoes home and made them into this salad there was a mixed reaction, however all issues were set aside once they started eating, that said I think I got the most tomatoes in my bowl 😉
This tomato & chorizo orzo salad is super quick and easy to make, and it tastes amazing, think juicy ripe tomatoes, slightly spicy chorizo and creamy feta all mixed up with a gentle lemon garlic dressing. This makes for a great speedy weeknight dinner or you can make it the night before for your picnic or pot luck. I served this as a main meal but this would also be great as a side or served with some grilled fish or chicken.
Tomato & Chorizo Orzo Salad
- 200 g orzo (dry weight)
- 100 g chorizo , skin removed and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 a small red onion , (40g) finely chopped
- 300 g mixed cherry tomatoes , cut into wedges or halved
- 80 g feta , cut into small cubes
- A good handful of basil , roughly chopped
- FOR THE LEMON GARLIC DRESSING:
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of half a medium lemon
- 1 fat clove of garlic , minced
- A small pinch of sea salt
- Some freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the orzo, stir and reduce to a quick simmer. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the orzo is cooked.
- Whilst the orzo is cooking, heat a skillet up to a medium heat, add the chorizo and cook it until it is nice and crispy, about 5 minutes, place the chorizo on some kitchen paper to soak up any excess fat.
- Make the dressing, add the lemon juice, garlic, salt and black pepper to a small bowl, then whisk in the oil, set aside until your ready to use it.
- When the orzo is cooked, drain it and let it cool for about 15 minutes. When it's cooled down add it to a large salad bowl with the chorizo, feta, tomatoes, basil and dressing and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
One year ago on The Last Food Blog – Pasta with Mushrooms & Sun Dried Tomatoes