If pancakes don’t appear on a weekend morning in our house there would trouble. To say my little girl likes her pancakes would be an understatement, she looooves them! They have to be homemade and they have to come with maple syrup….or else! Ha, welcome to my world!
I’m happy to make them but they have to be on the healthier side, so there will be fruit, there will be natural yogurt and now there will be whole grains! Yep! Pancakes ruined? No, not in the slightest.
Now I have tried all types of ways to make this weekend pancake ritual healthier, I have tried making them with spelt flour, yuk! I tried making them from oats, no chance! So my last resort is wholemeal flour and ….result, they more than pass the taste test, these pancakes flew off the plate just as fast as the white flour pancakes.
So why whole grains? Well it’s this, whole grain flours are healthier than white processed flours because the contain the whole of the grain. Including whole grains in your diet increasing your fibre intake which has been proven to help keep your gut working properly. More research coming out recently also suggests that having whole grains as part of a balanced diet could make you live longer.
Time: Prep 10 mins + 20mins cooking
200g self raising wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 large free range egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large knob of butter, plus more for cooking
150g fresh blueberries
- Pre heat your oven to 150 degrees C
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add baking powder and cinnamon and stir well.
- In another bowl or jug add the egg and vanilla to the milk and whisk until it is all combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and then slowly add the milk mixture.
- Using a whisk, beat the mixture until you have a smooth consistency.
- Melt a large knob of butter and whisk into the pancake batter, then mix in the blueberries.
- Heat a non stick pan to a medium heat, add some butter and start cooking your pancakes by adding a large tablespoon to the hot pan. Flip the pancake when it starts to bubble, cook until golden.
- Keep your pancakes warm in the pre-heated oven.
- Serve with maple syrup and a dollop of Greek yogurt.