Rhubarb Crumble Muffins
Sweet rhubarb muffins, with a hint of ginger and cinnamon, topped with crumble
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 340 g / 12oz rhubarb , ends cut off, washed and chopped into thumb size pieces
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1 vanilla pod , sliced down the middle
- 100 g / 1/2 a cup of golden castor sugar
- 375 g / 2 & 1/2 cups of self raising flour
- 150 g / 2/3 of a cup of soft brown sugar
- 1 level tsp ground ginger
- 1 level tsp cinnamon
- 2 x L free range eggs , at room temperature, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 ml / 1/2 a cup of buttermilk
- 125 ml / 1/2 a cup of sunflower oil
- FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 75 g / 3/4 of a cup of self raising flour
- 2 level tbsp demerara sugar
- 40 g / 3tbs butter , cut into cubes
Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C / 356 F, I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your own oven.
Add the rhubarb,vanilla pod, orange zest, orange juice and castor sugar to a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook gently for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
While the rhubarb is cooking make the crumble topping, add the flour, sugar to a large bowl and mix well.
Add the butter then using your finger tips rub the butter into the flour mixture, until you have a rough breadcrumb texture.
In another large bowl add the flour, spices and sugar and mix well. Make a well in the centre then add the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Using a knife mix everything together, when it's all combined add the rhubarb and mix well. You should have a wet better.
Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases, drop a large dessertspoon full of the batter into each case. Spoon some of the crumble over each muffin.
Bake on the middle shelf for 25 - 30 minutes, check with a metal skewer to make sure they are cooked. They should be golden in colour.
Remove from the oven when cooked, leave them in the tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool down.
Eat warm or cold.