Spiced Parsnip Fritters with Coriander Yogurt
Spiced parsnip fritters with a garlic & coriander yogurt sauce, perfect for lunch or as a light dinner.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 3 x parsnips , 450g, peeled
- 4 or 5 spring onions (scallions) depending how big they are. I used approx 30g of the white and light green part of the spring onions,chopped.
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1/2 tbs cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp each of ground black pepper & sea salt
- 2 large free range eggs , beaten
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 tbs coconut oil , more if you need it
- 150 g plain natural yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 1 tbs fresh coriander leaves , chopped
- A small pinch of sea salt
- Lime wedges & salad leaves to serve
Make the yogurt by adding the garlic, chopped coriander and sea salt to the yogurt, mix and then leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Pre heat your oven to 120 degrees C (250F)
Grate the parsnips, you can use a box grater or a food processor with the grating blade attached. The food processor will be much quicker. Place the grated parsnip in the middle of a light tea towel (kitchen towel) gather the edges together then twist the towel until you have a ball, squeeze the parsnip to remove some of the water content. Once you have done this leave the parsnip to sit in a sieve over a bowl for 10 minutes and then repeat once more. You want to get as much water out of the parsnips as possible.
While your waiting for the parsnips add the cumin seeds to a mortar and bruise with the pestle.
Place the parsnip in a large mixing bowl, add the spices, salt, pepper, garlic, spring onions, flour and eggs and mix well.
Heat the coconut oil in a skillet, I use a well seasoned cast iron skillet which is non stick, whatever you use make sure it is non-stick.
Spoon a heaped dessert spoon of the parsnip mix onto the skillet and flatten down slightly with the back of the spoon, cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side. I cooked these in batches of 3.
Place the fritters on a baking tray and keep warm until they are all cooked and you are ready to serve.
Serve with lime wedges, green salad and the coriander yogurt.