Cumin Roasted Aubergine & Quinoa Salad
Cumin roasted aubergine with a quinoa salad and lemon, garlic dressing. Vegetarian & Gluten free.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- FOR THE CUMIN ROASTED AUBGERINE
- 1 x Aubergine (250g) topped and tailed and cut into rounds about 1cm thick
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbs olive oil
- FOR THE QUINOA SALAD
- 100 g quinoa (dry weight)
- 50 g raw beetroot , grated
- 2 carrots (150g), grated
- 1 medium courgette (180g), cut into small cubes
- 1 small red onion (80g), cut in half & finely sliced
- A good handful of coriander , chopped + more for garnishing
- Juice of half a small lemon
- 80 g feta , crumbled (optional)
- A little freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt
- FOR THE YOGURT DRESSING:
- 150 ml plain natural yogurt
- 1 large clove of garlic , minced
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve.
Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C ( I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust the temperature according to your oven)
Make the yogurt dressing by adding the yogurt to a small bowl, stir in the lemon juice and garlic, season with the sea salt and black pepper. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Toast the cumin seeds in a pan over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, tossing the seeds in the pan every now and again. When toasted crush the seeds in a pestle and mortar.
Add the olive oil to the crushed cumin seeds and mix well.
Brush the aubergine rounds on each side with the cumin oil mixture and place on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, turning once halfway through.
While the aubergine is roasting cook the quinoa and then let it cool.
Add the cooled quinoa to a large mixing bowl, add the carrot, courgette, onion, coriander, salt, pepper and lemon juice and mix well.
To serve, place the quinoa mixture on a large serving dish, scatter the beetroot around the quinoa, top with the cooked aubergine and then sprinkle over the feta. You can garnish with a little chopped coriander and lemon wedges on the side.