Veggie burgers that even the kids will like!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 8 Burgers
- 1 x 400g can of red kidney beans
- 1 onion (100g), finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic , minced
- 2 x portobello mushrooms , (180g)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 small courgette (120g), grated
- 1/2 a red bell pepper , chopped finely
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- A small handful of fresh coriander , chopped
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 100 g breadcrumbs , I used sourdough as that's what I had but wholemeal breadcrumbs would be fine too
- Cornmeal (polenta) for dusting the burgers
- 2 tsp olive oil + oil for cooking
- Burger buns , avocado, rocket, tomato, mayo and beetroot ketchup (optional) to serve.
Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes. Then add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute or two or when you can smell the spices. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Mash half the kidney beans then add to the large mixing bowl, now crush the other half of the kidney beans and add to the mixing bowl.
Blitz the mushrooms in a food processor, grate the courgette then give it a good squeeze to get rid of some water from the courgette.
Add all the mushroom, courgette, bell pepper, chili pepper, chopped coriander, salt and breadcrumbs to the mixing bowl and mix well so everything is completely combined.
Shape the burger mixture into 8 burgers then chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Heat some olive oil in a pan and cook each burger for about 10 minutes gently flipping once or twice to ensure they are cooked evenly.
Serve immediately in a bun with rocket, sliced tomato, avocado slices, some mayo and some beetroot ketchup (optional)