Harissa Roasted Aubergine with Chickpeas & Quinoa
Harissa roasted aubergine with smoky chickpeas and cumin & garlic quinoa.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 large aubergine (350g) cut in half lengthways
- 2 tsp of Harissa
- 2 - 3 tsp + 1tbs of olive oil
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas , rinsed
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- A small pinch of sea salt
- 80 g of quinoa , I used a mixed seed quinoa
- Half a medium red onion (80g), finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Pomegranate seeds , from half a pomegranate
- A small handful of coriander leaves
- Some yogurt to serve (optional)
Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C (I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your oven)
Using a sharp knife cut lines diagonally across the aubergine flesh, repeat in the opposite direction so you have diamonds.
Mix the Harissa with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, place the aubergines skin side down on a baking tray. Brush the Harissa mixture over the aubergine flesh, drizzle with a little more olive oil and then cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the aubergine is soft.
Meanwhile add the chickpeas to a baking tray, add the smoked paprika, sea salt and 1 tablespoon of oil, give it a good shake so that all the chickpeas are covered in the smoked paprika. Then cook in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes. When they are nice and crispy set them aside until you are ready to use them.
While the chickpeas are roasting, cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions.
When the quinoa is done, add the onion, cumin, black pepper, garlic and chickpeas and mix well.
Serve the roasted aubergine on a bed of the chickpea quinoa, top with pomegranate seeds, some coriander leaves, lemon wedges and a good spoon of yogurt if using.