Rhubarb & Ginger Oat Crumble
A rhubarb and ginger oat crumble
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- FOR THE FILLING
- 500 g Rhubarb , roughly chopped
- A small piece of stem ginger (10g), chopped
- 2 tsp of ginger syrup
- Juice of half a medium lemon
- A little lemon zest (1/4 of a lemon)
- 1/2 a tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbs soft dark brown sugar
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 g oats
- 125 g cold butter , cut into cubes + a liitle more for greasing
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 60 g castor sugar
- TO SERVE
- Ice cream
Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C ( I have an electric, fan assisted oven, please adjust according to the oven you use)
Add the rhubarb, ginger, syrup, lemon zest and lemon juice along with the sugar to a bowl and mix everything together, making sure the rhubarb is completely covered in the juice.
Grease an oven proof dish with a little butter.
To make the oat topping, sift the flour and cinnamon into a mixing bowl, add the oats and castor sugar and butter and start rubbing the mixture together with your fingers until you have a thick crumbly texture.
Add the rhubarb mixture to the greased dish, top with the oat crumble mixture and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the topping is crispy and browned.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream of cream.