Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Slightly healthier banana and walnut muffins, made with whole wheat flour. Perfect for breakfast or elevenses.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 300 g wholemeal (whole wheat) self-raising flour (2 1/8 cups)
- 50 g breakfast oats (1/2 a cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 120 g soft light brown sugar (just under 2/3 of a cup)
- 100 g chopped walnuts (just over 3/4 of a cup)
- 4 medium very ripe bananas mashed
- 3 medium free range eggs lightly beaten
- 150 ml melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/ 356F. I use a fan assisted electric oven please adjust settings to your own oven.Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon and mix well.In a separate bowl lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla extract.
Make a well in the dry ingredients then pour in the eggs, mashed bananas and walnuts and mix until just combined.
Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases, place on the middle shelf of the oven then bake for 20 minutes. Test the muffins after 20 minutes with a metal skewer, if the skewer comes out clean the muffins are done.Remove from the oven then leave them to sit in the tray for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Serve warm or cold with coffee or a glass of milk for the kids. These will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Cup sizes are approximate, I use a metric scale to weigh all ingredients. Calories are approximate and are per muffin.
- Try adding dark chocolate chips, add to the mixture at step 3.
- Different nuts will work well too, try chopped pecans or hazelnuts.