Asparagus Pasta with Lemon and Mint
A light and fresh asparagus pasta dish with peas, lemon, mint and garlic
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 250 g Asparagus shaved into ribbons
- 3 spring onions (scallions) sliced thinly
- 40 g pine nuts toasted
- 80 g frozen garden peas
- 2 fat cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter I used salted butter
- 200 g linguine
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 or 5 mint leaves chopped + more for garnish
- The zest and juice of half a lemon keep the other half for serving
- 30 g parmesan cheese finely grated + more for serving
- 1/4 cup water from the pasta
Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan until golden brown then set aside.
Place the frozen peas in a bowl of cold water and leave to defrost.
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Save 1/4 cup of the pasta water before draining.
Using a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into thin ribbons.Heat the butter in a large saute pan, once the butter has melted add the asparagus, spring onions. salt and garlic and cook over a medium heat for about 3 minutes. Drain the peas and add them to the pan.Then add the lemon juice and zest and stir gently.
Add the parmesan and 1/4 cup of water from the pasta, stir briefly. You should have a light, thin sauce.
Once the pasta has cooked, drain it then add it to the asparagus. Add the pine nuts and mint and toss gently. Cook for about 2 minutes then turn off the heat.
Serve with fresh shavings of parmesan, cracked black pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Add a couple of mint leaves as a garnish if you like.
- Calories are approximate.
- This recipe cannot be frozen, it will keep in the fridge for a day or two but is best eaten straight away.
- If you would like to make this a vegan meal then switch out the butter for olive oil and omit the parmesan cheese.
- To keep this vegetarian use a vegetarian parmesan cheese.