Sweet Potato Rosti with Goat's Cheese
Spicy Sweet Potato Rosti with Goat's Cheese and Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes. Great for a tasty weekend breakfast or brunch.
- 620 g sweet potato (about 3 small sweet potatoes) peeled then grated using the course side of the grater
- 1 medium white onion ( 125g) peeled then grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 level tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 level tsp sea salt divided
- 1 level tsp freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2 level tbsp plain flour
- 100 g goat's cheese
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for frying the rosti
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C / 392F. I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your own oven.Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Grate the sweet potato using the coarse side of a box grater or use a food processor. Place the sweet potato onto a clean tea towel. Gather up the edges of the towel then twist. Squeeze the sweet potato until the juice comes out. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Add the onion, eggs, chives, chilli flakes, half the salt and pepper then stir well. Then add the flour and mix well again.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick pan, over a medium heat.Using an 8cm/3 inch cooking ring, place it on the pan then fill it with the sweet potato mixture, fill the ring to just over halfway. Press down firmly on the rosti, using the spoon.Leave to cook for about 2 minutes then remove the ring. Press down on the rosti with a spatula and cook for another 2 minutes. Flip the rosti, press down again and cook for about 2 minutes. Continue for the remaining mixture. You should have 8 rosti.
Transfer the rosti to the lined baking sheet. Place a slice of goat's cheese on each rosti and place in the oven for about 8 minutes until the cheese is golden and melted.
While you are cooking the rosti pop the cherry tomatoes into a baking dish, add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, 1/2 a teaspoon each of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.Roast for 10 minutes or until the cherry tomatoes have burst.
Serve the rosti with a generous helping of the balsamic roasted cherry tomatoes and some freshly cracked black pepper.
- Nutritional Information: Nutritional information is approximate and is calculated using an online tool and are based on a serving of two rosti per person.
- Cooking: When you are frying your rosti, make sure and press down well on the spatula to ensure optimal crispiness.
- Freezing: Shape the mixture into 8 rounds using the cooking ring. Place on a tray and put into the freezer for about two hours then transfer the rosti to a freezer bag or container. Keep in the freezer for up to a month and cook from frozen.
- Make Ahead: These can be made up to a day ahead, just store them covered in the fridge. You can make the mixture and store it or shape the mixture into rounds.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 11.3g | Fat: 13.5g | Saturated Fat: 6.5g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 1218mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 4.1g | Sugar: 2.7g | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 1.3mg