Smashed Avocado on Toast
Smashed Avocado on Toast with Crispy Fried Eggs, the ultimate veggie breakfast! Ready in under 15 minutes this is perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch.
- 2 slices of sourdough bread thickly cut
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for frying the eggs
- 2 ripe avocados skin and stone removed
- 6 ripe cherry tomatoes sliced
- 2 or 3 sprigs of cilantro/ coriander just the leaves
- 1 lime
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1/2 tsp of dried red chilli flakes optional
- 1/4 tsp sea salt plus more for serving
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper plus more for serving
Heat a skillet until it's nice and hot. Brush each side of the bread with olive oil.Toast both sides of the sliced bread until they are golden brown and the edges are charred slightly.
Add the avocados to a bowl with 1/4 tsp each of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Using a fork mash the avocados until they are roughly mashed with some chunks. Don't over mash it.
Heat some oil, I use olive oil, in a frying pan. Break two eggs into the pan and cook to your liking. I like my eggs for this sunny side up and runny, so they don't take long to cook. Carefully spoon some of the hot oil over the whites of the eggs until they are white.
Spread the avocado over the toast, squeeze some lime juice over the avocado.Add the cherry tomatoes on top of the avocado then add the cilantro/coriander.Place the fried eggs on top of the tomatoes and avocado the sprinkle over the chilli flakes and finish it off with a small pinch of sea and cracked black pepper.
- Nutritional Information is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It is based on a serving of one.
- Bread, sourdough or rye is best for this they are sturdy enough to hoe the weight of the toppings.
- Avocado, I use Hass avocados, they need to ripe.
- Tomatoes, ripe cherry tomatoes are best for this recipe, they are perfectly juicy but don't overtake the avocado.
- Cilantro/coriander, this is essential but if you really don't like coriander then basil works well too.
- Chilli, this is optional. The amount you use really depends on how hot you want it to be. Personally, for this, I think a pinch is enough.
- Make it lighter, use one avocado between 2 people and poach your eggs instead of frying.
- Storing and Freezing, you can make the smashed avocado slightly in advance, not more than a couple of hours though. To stop the avocado going brown pour a little lemon juice over it, pop the avocado stone in the middle of the smashed avocado and cover with cling film. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. This dish is best served immediately and is not suitable for freezing.
Calories: 805kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 21.3g | Fat: 53.2g | Saturated Fat: 11.2g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 753mg | Potassium: 2062mg | Fiber: 20.6g | Sugar: 13.4g | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 5.8mg