Pear and Ginger Crumble
A cosy crumble with pears and ginger in a caramel sauce topped with a tasty oat and pecan topping.
- 180 g plain/all-purpose flour (1+1/2 US cups)
- 50 g oats (1/2 US cup) (old fashioned oats)
- 140 g butter at room temperature (divided into 100g and 40g) (2/3 US cup) 100g cut into cubes
- 90 g light muscovado sugar (just under half a US cup) (divided into 60g and 30g)
- 40 g pecan halves (1/2 a US cup) roughly chopped
- 5 - 6 conference pears (900g) peeled cut in half lengthways and cored
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger root
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cornflour/ cornstarch
- Pears - I use Conference pears to make this crumble, Bosc pears, Anjou pears or Concorde will work well too. Go for pears that are slightly under-ripe. The pears should be firm, if they are too soft they’ll just turn to mush when baked.
- Butter - I use full-fat salted butter to make this crumble
- Skillet - My skillet measure in at 22cm/9inches. Make sure you use a stove to oven skillet, cast iron works really well.
- Freezing - You can freeze the baked crumble, leave it to cool then transfer it to a suitable container and pop it in the freezer. It will keep for up to 3 months. To reheat from frozen - cover with foil and bake at 180C/356F for about 1 1/2 hours then turn up the heat to 220C/428F and bake for a further45 minutes. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes. This is the best method.
- Leftovers - Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can eat this warm or cold. If you want to reheat it then pop it in the microwave to reheat.
- Nutritional Information - is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It does not include ice cream or cream. It is based on one serving.
- Measurements - I weigh all my ingredients using an electric scale, all measurements are metric. Cup measurements are approximate.
Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 67.3g | Protein: 5.7g | Fat: 24.8g | Saturated Fat: 12.6g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 275mg | Fiber: 7.3g | Sugar: 30.4g | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg