Easy to make and so delicious these falafel burgers are packed with flavour and taste amazing. Perfect for a tasty weekend treat!
for the falafel burgers
- 1 400g can of cooked chickpeas drained, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 medium red onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp rose harissa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil for cooking
for the mint and lemon yoghurt
- 80 g natural plain yoghurt about 6 tbsp
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 burger buns
- slices of red onion
- slices of tomatoes
make the yoghurt sauce
Add the yoghurt, mint, lemon zest, salt and pepper and stir well.Leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
assemble the burgers
Toast the burger buns on a griddle pan. Add lettuce, slices of tomato and red onion to one half of a burger bun. Top with one falafel burger. Top the burger with a good dollop of the yoghurt sauce then add the other burger bun.
- Chickpeas - I use canned chickpeas for these burgers, you can, of course, use dried chickpeas if you want. You will need to cook them though.
- Dry the chickpeas - it's best to dry the chickpeas before you add them to the food processor, this will help avoid a wet paste.
- Chill the burgers - before you cook them, this will help them firm up before cooking and help avoid them breaking up.
- Paste - If your paste is too dry add a dash of water if your paste is too wet add a little more flour.
- Heat - these burgers are on the spicy side due to the harissa, if you want less heat reduce the harissa to one teaspoon.
- Recipe Inspiration - this recipe was roughly adapted from this recipe here from BBC GoodFood.
- Nutritional Information - is approximate and is calculated using an online tool. It is based on one burger including sauce. it does nit include burger buns.
- Measurements - I weigh all my ingredients using an electric scale, all measurements are metric. Cup measurements are approximate.
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.3g | Protein: 5.8g | Fat: 3.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.7g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 873mg | Potassium: 218mg | Fiber: 3.4g | Sugar: 4.2g | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg