Spiced Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
A delicious, warmly spiced, sweet potato and carrot soup. It's so easy to make, tasty, filling and vegan!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger peeled then finely grated
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 600 g sweet potato (1 large sweet potato) peeled then cut into similar sized chunks
- 490 g carrots (4 large carrots) peeled then roughly chopped
- 1.2 litres of vegetable stock (about 2 pints)
- 1/4 tsp salt + more for serving
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper + more for serving
- pumpkin seeds
- fresh coriander/cilantro
- plain yoghurt (plant-based if you are vegan)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and again. The onion should be translucent and springy but not brown.
Add the spices, ginger and garlic and cook for a minute until they release their aromas. Then add the carrots to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
Now add the sweet potato to the pan along with the stock, salt and black pepper, stir well then leave to simmer over a low to medium heat for about 20 minutes.Once the sweet potato and carrots are tender blitz the soup with a handheld blender until smooth. Check the seasoning then serve.
- Stock - If you want to keep this vegan make sure your stock cubes or bouillon is vegan. I use a vegan vegetable bouillon, I use 2 teaspoon plus 1 .2 litres of hot water.
- Carrots - Fresh carrots are best, and I always peel them.
- Sweet potato - I always peel the sweet potato, make sure to cut it into similar sized chunks to ensure it all cooks at the same time.
- Blender - This soup is really best blended until smooth. I use a handheld blender but you also use a stand-alone blender, just be careful when you transfer the soup, it will be piping hot.
- Consistency/Heat - We love this soup thick and smooth if you prefer a thinner soup add more stock. If you want your soup to have more of a kick add a generous pinch of dried chilli flakes when you add the spices.
- Freezing/Storing - You can easily freeze this, leave it to cool then transfer to a suitable container and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the fridge overnight then reheat on the hob or in the microwave. This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Nutritional Information - Is approximate is it calculated using an online nutrition tool and is based on one serving. It does not include bread or toppings.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 46.3g | Protein: 4.5g | Fat: 3.8g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 1159mg | Fiber: 8.8g | Sugar: 17g | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 6mg