Crispy Breaded Garlic Mushrooms
Deliciously crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside these breaded garlic mushrooms are the perfect snack or appetizer. This is a restaurant-quality dish that will keep you coming back for more!
- 420 g /20 mushrooms wiped clean, any scrappy ends of the stem removed.
- 75 g /1 cup plain/all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g / 1 ¼ cup fine dried breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp fine sea salt + more for serving
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Oil for frying
Garlic and Chive Mayo
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ½ tbsp finely chopped chives + more for serving (optional)
Make the garlic and chive dip
Add the mayonnaise to a bowl. Stir in the garlic and the chopped chives.Leave in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
Make the breaded mushrooms
Clean the mushrooms by using a vegetable brush or kitchen paper. Do not wash the mushrooms.Turn on the deep fat fryer to high. Place the flour in a small bowl.Whisk the eggs together in another small bowl.Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl and add ½ a teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ a teaspoon of dried parsley, ½ a teaspoon of fine sea salt and ¼ teaspoon of cracked black pepper. Use a fork to mix it all together. Start by dipping one mushroom in the flour, then dip it in the whisked egg. Finally, dip the mushroom in the breadcrumbs. Making sure the mushroom is completely covered in breadcrumbs.Place the mushroom on a plate then repeat with the rest of the mushrooms. Once the deep fat fryer is at the right temperature add 5 mushrooms to the basket then drop the basket into the fryer.Cook for 3 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown. Once cooked carefully transfer the mushrooms to a large plate lined with kitchen paper.Repeat until you have cooked all the mushrooms. Leave to cool slightly before serving with the garlic and chive mayo.
- Mushrooms - I use chestnut/brown mushrooms as they have more flavour than white button mushrooms but you can make this with white button mushrooms if you wish. Just make sure the mushrooms are of a similar size.
- Breadcrumbs - Store-bought dried, fine breadcrumbs are perfect for this recipe. You can use your own homemade breadcrumbs if you want. If I was using my own breadcrumbs I would make sure the bread was on the stale side. I have made these with panko breadcrumbs and while the results were good they were nowhere near as good as the fine breadcrumbs.
- Herbs/spices - Dried herbs achieve the best results for making these breaded mushrooms. As did the garlic granules. Fresh garlic tends to burn quite quickly which doesn't give the best result.
- Deep Frying - Deep frying these mushrooms will give you the very best results. I have tried baking these and while they are nice they are not as good as when fried.
- Nutritional Information - is approximate and is calculated using an online nutritional tool. It is based on a serving of 4 mushrooms per person and does not include the mayo dip.
- Weights and measurements - For US readers, I use Cuisipro measuring cups and spoons, and a Pyrex measuring jug for liquids. These are the industry standard. Cup/spoon volumes can differ from brand to brand, for accuracy, I recommend weighing all ingredients if possible.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 24.6g | Saturated Fat: 2.8g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 347mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 2.1g | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 3mg