Learn how to make your own sourdough croutons with just 4 ingredients. Great for adding texture to soups, stews and more!
- 4 thick slices of slightly stale sourdough bread
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
Preheat the oven to 180°C (353°F ) / 160°C Fan (320°F)Place the sliced bread on a baking tray, brush each side of the bread with oil.Cook for about 10 minutes or until the bread is starting to brown. Remove the tray from the oven.Rub each side of the sliced bread with the garlic.Cut the bread into cubes. Return them to the tray.Add the remaining oil and toss the bread. Sprinkle some of the salt over the croutons then return the tray to the oven and bake for another 8 - 10 minutes or until the croutons are golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave the croutons to cool on the tray.Transfer to a bowl or bag and sprinkle the remaining salt over the croutons.
- Bread - slightly stale sourdough is best for this recipe, however, any bread will work except for sandwich bread which is usually thinly sliced.
- Want more garlic - if you want more of a garlic flavour to these then I would use garlic-infused oil. You can make your own by adding 1 very finely grated clove of garlic to the oil a good few hours before you make the croutons.
- Herbs - if you want to add herbs to these then for dried herbs, add them to the croutons when you add the salt. For fresh herbs, I would add them towards the end of cooking, so add them at the last 5 minutes and toss well.
- Storing - Once cooled transfer them to a sealed bag or airtight container. Keep them on the counter.
- Freezing croutons - Once cooled put them in a freezer bag, make sure to get as much air out of the bag as possible before you seal it then freeze for up to a month. The great thing about croutons is that they thaw really quickly so take them out of the freezer a couple of hours before you use them. You can refresh them in a preheated oven if you like.
- Nutritional Information - is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It is approximate and can vary depending on how many croutons you add.
Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.3g | Protein: 1.5g | Fat: 4.4g | Saturated Fat: 0.7g | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 18mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 0.3g | Calcium: 6mg