Spiced Courgette & Sweetcorn Fritters
Courgette and Sweetcorn Fritters, lightly spiced, crispy and filling. Served with a minty, garlic and lemon yoghurt sauce these are perfect for lunch or as a tasty appetiser.
- FOR THE FRITTERS:
- 3 small courgettes / zucchini (480g/1lb/17oz) grated
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large free range eggs
- 4 spring onions / scallions the white and pale green part, thinly sliced,
- 1 cup sweet corn (165g) canned is fine
- 1 cup plain flour / all purpose flour (120g)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- sunflower oil or coconut oil for cooking
- FOR THE MINTY YOGhURT:
- 3/4 cup plain yoghurt (150ml)
- Half a lemon, the zest of plus wedges for serving
- 2 sprigs of mint, about 10 leaves leaves removed and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 scant tsp sea salt
Place the grated courgettes into a large sieve add a good pinch of sea salt and mix with your hands. Then place the sieve over a large bowl, leave for at least 10 minutes, this is to drain off some of the water from the courgettes.
While the courgettes are draining, make the yoghurt sauce. This is as easy as adding all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and then letting it sit in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
Now make the fritter batter. Using your hands squeeze out any excess water from the grated courgette.
Then add the courgette, sweetcorn, and spring onions to a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and stir well.
Sieve in the flour, baking powder and spices then add the salt and pepper and mix well.
To cook the fritters heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non stick pan, add two tablespoons of the batter at a time the pan, lightly press down the batter with the back of a spoon.Cook the fritters for about 3 minutes each side, they should be golden brown and cooked through. I cooked these in batches of four. You can keep them warm in the oven if you need.
When the fritters are cooked place them on some kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil. This batter will make 12 - 14 fritters.
Serve the fritters with some minty yoghurt sauce and lemon wedges.
- Nutritional Information is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It based on a serving of 4 which is about 4 fritters each plus yoghurt sauce.
- The Batter, try to cook these as soon as you can if you leave the batter to sit for too long it will result in a doughy fritter.
- The Courgettes, if you can, use young courgettes/zucchini older courgettes can be a bit too watery and not as firm.
- Sweet Corn, I always use canned sweet corn for these but if you have an abundance of corn then you will need to cook it first.
- Storing, it's really important to cook this as soon as you make the batter. If you leave the batter to sit for too long then this will result in a doughy fritter and that's not what we want here.
- Freezing, you can freeze these once they are cooked and have cooled down but please be aware that there will be a significant change in texture when you reheat them.
- Oil, I recommend using a light oil to fry this in, sunflower oil is good.
Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 37.3g | Protein: 9.3g | Fat: 1.3g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Sodium: 566mg | Potassium: 584mg | Fiber: 4.1g | Sugar: 4.3g | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4mg