Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Feta Toast
This Roasted Red Pepper Soup is just the ticket for chilly days. Nice and spicy with a little kick from red chilli flakes, a hint of thyme and garlic this soup will really warm you up. Served with seriously tasty Feta Toast this is great for a satisfying lunch or supper.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (160g) finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 3 medium carrots (250g) peeled and chopped
- 1 x jar of roasted peppers (300g drained weight)
- 1 Litre vegetable stock (2 pints)
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme plus more for serving
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the Feta Toast
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100 g feta (3/4 of a cup of crumbled feta)
- 1/2 tbsp thyme leaves
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the red onion and celery and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until they are soft.Add one clove of minced garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of dried red chilli flakes and cook for one minute. Add the carrots and roasted red peppers and chili flakes, cook for 5 minutes and then add the stock, thyme sprigs and season with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Blend until smooth with a handheld blender.
- Nutritional Information - is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. Information listed is for the soup only. Calories for the feta toast are 192 per slice.
- Roasted Red Peppers - I use store bought roasted red peppers, this saves me time, however, you can roast your own peppers if you prefer.
- Is this soup Vegan? Yes, this soup is vegan. The feta toast is not vegan, you can omit the feta or switch it for your favourite vegan cheese if you wish to make the whole dish vegan.
- Is this soup gluten-free? To make this soup gluten-free make sure the stock you use is gluten-free. You can also use your favouite gluten-free bread to make the feta toast.
Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.7g | Protein: 0.9g | Fat: 5.6g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Sodium: 1007mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8.3g | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg