Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Kale and Lentils
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with roasted red onions cherry tomatoes, kale and lentils. Seasoned with garlic, thyme and lemon then roasted in the oven until they're golden brown, sweet and tender. This is a very tasty, satisfying plant-based meal
- 1 x large cauliflower cut into 3 thick slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic put through a garlic press or finely grated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ a large lemon juiced
- ¼ tsp sea salt + more for serving
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper + more for serving
- 1 medium red onion cut into wedges
- 200 g (1 ½ cups) cherry tomatoes
- 100 g (2 cups chopped) cavolo nero / kale washed and shredded, woody stems removed
- 250 g (1 ½ cups) cooked puy lentils
- 1 tsp vegan vegetable bouillon
- Lemon wedges to serve
Preheat the oven to 200° C (425°F) fan / 220°C (475°F) conventional oven.
Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a small bowl. Add the garlic, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves, ¼ teaspoon of sea salt and ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Whisk them all together.
Place the cauliflower steaks on a baking tray, brush each slice liberally on both sides with the oil and lemon mixture. Add the red onion wedges to the tray and give them a brush of oil too.Season the onion with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the tray from the oven then carefully turn over the cauliflower slices. Add the cherry tomatoes to the tray then put the tray back in the oven and cook for another 10 - 15 minutes. The cauliflower should be chared around the edges and tender. Meanwhile, add the lentils and 1 teaspoon of vegetable bouillon to a saucepan cover with water. Bring the water to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.After 5 minutes add the kale to the pan, no need to stir it in just leave it to sit on top of the lentils. Pop a lid on the saucepan and cook until the kale is wilted. About 5 -10 minutes.Drain any water once the kale is wilted.
Serve the cauliflower steaks on a bed of kale and lentils, add the roasted tomatoes and onion wedges and serve with some lemon wedges.
- Cauliflower - Depending on the size of your cauliflower you may get between 2 and 3 steaks.
- Lentils - I use precooked lentils for this recipe for convenience. You can of course use tinned or dried lentils if you wish. If you do use dried lentils you will need to cook them beforehand.
- Freezing/Making ahead/ Storing - this dish is best made fresh and I do not recommend freezing it.
- Nutritional Information - is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. Information is based on 1 serving of 3.
- Weights and measurements - For US readers, I use Cuisipro measuring cups and spoons, and a Pyrex measuring jug for liquids. These are the industry standard. Cup/spoon volumes can differ from brand to brand, for accuracy, I recommend weighing all ingredients if possible.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.2g | Protein: 13.5g | Fat: 16.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.4g | Sodium: 492mg | Potassium: 812mg | Fiber: 11.7g | Sugar: 8.1g | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 5mg