Mushroom Fried Rice
Better than take out Mushroom Fried Rice. Slightly spicy and seriously tasty this is great as a meal on it's own or as a side.
- 225 g (1 cup) basmati rice or long grain rice
- 300 g (3/4 lb) chestnut mushrooms wiped clean then sliced
- 125 g (1+2/3 cup) shiitake mushrooms wiped clean, thicker stems removed, then sliced
- 125 g (7/8 of a cup) frozen peas put the peas in a bowl of cold water to defrost
- 6 spring onions (scallions) white and green part sliced
- 1 heaped tbs grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 tbs grape seed oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 3 1/2 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs toasted sesame oil
Add the rice to a pan of boiling water, reduce the heat and cook for about 15 minutes or until the rice is almost done. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and leave to cool completely. Put the bowl of rice in the fridge until you are ready to use it. The colder the rice the better.
Heat one tablespoon of the oil and one teaspoon of the butter in a wok, add half the mushrooms and cook over a medium to high heat for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked. Remove them with a slotted spoon and leave them sit in a bowl.Add the remaining butter and the rest of the mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes then add to the other mushrooms.
Wipe the wok clean then add the remaining oil. Add the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chilli flakes cook over a medium heat for about two minutes or until they are fragrant.
Turn up the heat then add the rice to the wok with the soy sauce. Stir fry for two or three minutes. Then add the mushrooms, plus any juice from the bowl, and the defrosted peas. Stir fry until the rice is piping hot and the mushrooms and peas are hot. Serve immediately.
Calories are approximate and are for 4 served as a main meal. Cup measurements are approximate, I use a metric kitchen scale to weigh all ingredients.
Recipe slightly adapted from this recipe by Food and Wine.
Make sure the rice you are using is covered fully when stored in the fridge, and it must be heated up really hot.
- Don't keep rice in the fridge for more than 24 hours.