Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Pasta
This creamy, spinach and mushroom pasta is perfect cosy comfort food. It's really tasty and satisfying, quick and easy to make, great for a tasty weeknight dinner.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large shallots finely chopped
- 4 + 2/3 cups chestnuts mushrooms (350g) wiped clean then sliced
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 heaped tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2/3 cup double cream/heavy cream (150ml)
- 1/3 cup vegetarian parmesan cheese (30g) finely grated plus more for serving
- 14 cup pine nuts (30g) toasted
- 1 cup baby spinach (100g)
- 7 oz (7oz) linguine (200g) (dry weight)
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- finely chopped flat-leaf parsley for serving
Heat the oil in a large saute pan, add the shallots and cook over a low to medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the shallots are soft.
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the pasta, cook until the pasta is almost cooked.
Add the butter to the pan then add half the mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until the mushrooms release their juices. As soon as those mushrooms are cooked move them to one side of the pan then add the remaining mushrooms. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper. Now slowly pour in the cream, let in bubble up then add about two tablespoons of water from the cooking pasta and stir well. This will help the sauce stick to the pasta. Next stir in the cheese. As soon as the cheese has melted turn off the heat. Now add in the spinach, add half first. Once it has wilted add the remaining spinach.Drain the pasta then add it to the sauce, tossing gently.Once the pasta is covered in the sauce add the toasted pinenuts.
Serve immediately with a garnish of chopped parsley, some extra grated cheese and some freshly cracked black pepper.
- Nutritional Information - Is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It does not include extra cheese for serving.
- Weight and Measurements - Cup sizes are also approximate, I weigh all my ingredients using a metric scale.
- Pasta - I use linguine for this recipe. I have tested this recipe with tagliatelle, pappardelle and penne and all work well too. Linguine worked the best though.
- Cream - Double cream will give you the best results for this dish.
- Cheese - Make sure you use a good vegetarian hard Italian cheese, it must melt well for the sauce to work.
- Mushrooms - I use chestnut mushrooms to make this as they have more flavour than button mushrooms. I have made this with a mixture of wild and chestnut mushrooms which worked well too. Depending on the wild mushrooms you choose they may take longer to cook.
- Can I freeze this dish? I don't recommend freezing this dish.
- Can I make this gluten-free? Yes, just swap the pasta for your favourite gluten-free pasta.
- How can I make this vegan? Please note that I have not tested this recipe to be vegan. However, if you swap the cream for a dairy free cream and use a vegan hard cheese you should get similar results. You will also need to swap the butter for a vegan butter.
Calories: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.2g | Protein: 12.7g | Fat: 33.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.7g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 240mg | Potassium: 707mg | Fiber: 2.3g | Sugar: 0.6g | Calcium: 154mg | Iron: 3mg