Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
This creamy broccoli and cauliflower soup is a lovely delicate soup that is warming and satisfying. Easy to make and ready in no time.
- 1 large onion (280g) finely chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 1 medium floury white potato (200g) peeled and cut into small cubes
- 180 g fresh broccoli florets
- 250 g fresh cauliflower florets
- 1 litre low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- 2 small dried bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Freshly grated mature cheddar cheese
- Crusty bread
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook gently over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the celery and cook for another 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves then blitz the soup with a hand-held blender until you have a smooth creamy soup.
Serve with grated mature cheddar cheese if using and some good crusty bread.
- Nutritional Information - is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It does not include cheese topping or bread.
- I use a low sodium vegetable stock to make this.
- Fresh cauliflower and broccoli will give you the best results. You can use frozen if you wish but you may need to reduce the amount of stock you use.
- Can I make this vegan? This soup is vegan, I haven't classified it as vegan as I have used cheese when serving it.
- Is this gluten-free? Once the stock you use is gluten-free then you're good to go.
- Making ahead, storing and freezing - This soup can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. It can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container. You can freeze this soup, let it cool then transfer to a freezer-friendly container. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge. Reheat on the hob, until piping hot.
Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 21.3g | Protein: 5.4g | Fat: 3.9g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Sodium: 307mg | Potassium: 751mg | Fiber: 6.3g | Sugar: 7.1g | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 4mg