Creamy Kale and Mushroom Pasta Bake
A creamy, garlicky kale and mushroom pasta bake. Perfect for a cosy winter dinner.
- 1 medium brown onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms wiped clean then sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 100 g curly kale shredded, woody stems removed
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 350 g (dry weight) pasta I used fusilloni pasta
- 50 g breadcrumbs I used Panko breadcrumbs
- 40 g parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 tsp chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
For the sauce
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 450 ml milk
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, 356F. I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your own oven.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan, add the chopped onion and cook over a medium heat until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes.Add the butter to the pan then stir in the mushrooms and the thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the mushrooms release their juices. Then add the garlic and the kale, stir well and cook until the kale wilts slightly, for about 5 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet minus 5 minutes.
To make the sauce melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and stir well. Cook for two minutes then start adding the milk gradually, whisk in the milk. Keep whisking until you have a thick creamy sauce. Stir in the dijon mustard and the pepper, bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
When the pasta is almost cooked drain it then add it to a large casserole dish. Stir in the mushroom and kale mixture then gently stir in the sauce.
Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and parmesan over the pasta then bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.Serve straight away with chopped parsley if you wish.*calories are per portion and are approximate.