Quinoa Lentil Salad with Tomatoes
A fresh and zesty salad of quinoa, lentils and tomatoes with a simple lemon and oil dressing. Simple, fresh and satisfying this is a great Summer salad.
- 150 g quinoa (dry weight)
- 1/2 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 180 ml water
- 1 x 250 g pack of cooked puy lentils
- 180 g cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 small courgette (zucchini) diced
- 1 ripe avocado cut into chunks
- 4 spring onions (scallions) white and some of the green part sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Chive flowers (optional)
For the dressing
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of half a large lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
Cook the quinoa according to the pack or see post for instructions on how to make perfectly fluffy quinoa. Then leave to cool. Fluff the quinoa up with a fork before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Empty the lentils into a sieve then rinse with just boiled water.
To a large serving bowl add the quinoa, lentils and chives and stir well. Then add the rest of the vegetables and the sunflower seeds and gently toss.
To make the lemon olive oil dressing, simply whisk the lemon juice into the oil with the salt and pepper. You can pour the dressing over the salad just before you serve or leave it on the side for people to add it themselves. This is how I serve it.
- This dish is 338 calories per serving which includes the dressing. Please note that calories are approximate.
- I used a mixed seed quinoa, plain quinoa works just as well.
- I used a gluten-free, vegan vegetable bouillon powder for cooking the quinoa. This can be found in the free-from section of your supermarket if you can't find any you can leave it out just add a good pinch of salt to the quinoa when cooking.
- This quinoa lentil salad with keep in the fridge for about two days, just keep it covered.
- To bring this to work or school, transport it in an airtight container and keep the dressing separate.
- Brown lentils will work well too if you can't find Puy lentils.
- This is a vegan salad but it works well as a side salad served with grilled chicken or salmon.