A deliciously rich and tasty vegetarian bolognese. Perfect veggie comfort food.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (220g) finely chopped
- 1 large carrot (200g) peeled then finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery finely chopped
- 4 fat cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms (4 US cups) wiped clean then sliced
- 25 g dried porcini mushrooms (approx 1/4 US cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (180g) pith and seeds removed then chopped
- 250 g cooked Puy lentils (3 1/3 US cups) I used pre-cooked lentils
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes/diced tomatoes (14.5oz can US)
- 300 ml passata (1 1/3 US cup) tomato puree in the US
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar optional
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce more if you want it
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 or 7 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- grated vegetarian parmesan style cheese and basil leaves for serving
- Mushrooms - I use chestnut/brown mushrooms but you can use white mushrooms if you need to. The dried mushrooms should be soaked in warm water before adding to the dish.
- Pasta - We serve this with linguine but spaghetti, tagliatelle or other pasta shapes will work well with this too.
- Keep it vegan - If you want to keep this vegan use a vegan Italian style hard cheese.
- Make it gluten-free - To make this dish gluten-free, use tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Storing/Reheating/Freezing - Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge and will keep for up to 3 days. Reheat it on the hob until hot. To freeze, leave the sauce to cool, transfer to freezer containers then keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before heating on the hob.
- Nutritional Information - is approximate and is calculated using an online tool. It is based on one serving of bolognese sauce without pasta or parmesan.
- Measurements - I weigh all my ingredients using an electric scale, all measurements are metric. Cup measurements are approximate.
Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.5g | Protein: 8.5g | Fat: 3.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 253mg | Potassium: 487mg | Fiber: 7.4g | Sugar: 5.1g | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 3mg