Apple Salad with Walnuts & Kale
Apple, walnut salad with kale. Served with a shallot, honey and mustard dressing. A seasonal and festive salad. Perfect for holiday entertaining.
- 120 g shredded kale woody stems removed
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 large gala apples (sweet apples) sliced
- 100 g feta
- 90 g walnut halves
- 25 g pumpkin seeds
- The seeds from half a pomegranate
For the shallot, honey and mustard dressing
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice + more for coating the apple slices
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 medium shallot peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Put the kale into a large mixing bowl, add the lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of sea salt.Rub the lemon juice into the kale and keep massaging the kale for about 5 minutes. The kale should be softer but still firm. You don't want really wilted kale. Leave the kale to sit in a colander over a bowl for about 5 minutes. While the kale is doing its magic, make the dressing.Whisk together the mustard, honey and apple cider vinegar. Add the extra virgin olive oil to another bowl, whisk in mustard and honey mixture, then add the salt and pepper. Set aside until you are ready to use it. Now all you need to do is build your salad. Firstly rub all the apple slices in a little lemon juice, this will stop the apples from going brown.Next, drain the kale, then add it to a large serving dish. Crumble in the walnuts, add the pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds and toss well.Arrange the apple slices around the salad then crumble the feta over it.I usually serve the dressing on the side so everyone can add however much they wish to add. If you want to add the dressing to the whole salad then add it before you add the feta. Serve immediately.
- Nutritional Information - Calories are approximate, calories listed in the recipe card are for the salad only and do not include the dressing. They are based on a serving of 4 for lunch. This salad with serve 6 as a side dish.
- Dressing - The dressing makes enough for 8 servings and comes in at approximately 85 calories per serving. If you have any dressing leftover, keep it in a jar with a tight-fitting lid in the fridge, use within the week.
- Apples - I use Gala apples for this salad but any sweet apples will work well. Red delicious work well too.
- Kale is great in this salad but spinach, watercress or lamb's lettuce also works well if you are not keen on kale.
- Can I make it Vegan? To make this vegan, omit the feta and swap maple syrup in the dressing for the honey.
Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 29.9g | Protein: 12.1g | Fat: 39.4g | Saturated Fat: 7.6g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 670mg | Potassium: 549mg | Fiber: 5.6g | Sugar: 18.3g | Calcium: 190mg | Iron: 8mg