Nut Roast en Croûte
A festive nut roast en croûte, perfect for a vegetarian Christmas dinner. Shortcrust pastry filled with butternut squash, nuts, herbs and feta. Delicious hot or cold.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (200g) finely chopped
- 2 carrots (230g) peeled and finely chopped
- 200 g chestnut mushrooms wiped clean and finely chopped
- 400 g butternut squash cut into small cubes
- 3 fat cloves of garlic minced
- 1 heaped tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 150 g mixed nuts I used walnuts, almonds and cashews
- 1 x 180g pack of roasted chestnuts
- 1 large egg
- 80 g feta cheese
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 small slices of white bread turned into breadcrumbs in a food processor
- 1 x 320g roll of ready rolled shortcrust pastry + more for any decorations or patching up
- 3 or 4 tbsp milk
- Pastry - I use a pre-rolled ready-made shortcrust pastry. Cold hands are essential when handling pastry if you're like me and have warm hands then rinse your hands under the cold tap for a few minutes.
- Nuts - I use a mixture of my favourite nuts, you can change them up if you wish. Just remember to keep the quantity the same.
- Test Run - Please do a test run of this beforehand if you are planning to have it for Christmas dinner. Just to make sure you like it.
- Can I make it ahead - You can make the filling a day ahead of time, just keep it covered in the fridge.
- Can I make this vegan? This can easily be made vegan. Omit the cheese, use your favourite vegan shortcrust pastry. Use a flax egg to bind the mixture and use plant milk to glaze the pastry.
- Freezing/Storing - This nut roast en croûte is suitable for freezing. You can freeze it before you cook it if you wish. You will need to freeze it on a tray for about an hour first then transfer to a freezer-friendly container. It will keep for up to a month. Defrost completely the night before cooking. Please note that the consistency may alter slightly if you do freeze this.
- Nutrition - Nutritional information is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It is based on one serving.
Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 44.5g | Protein: 10.5g | Fat: 27.1g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 625mg | Fiber: 6.7g | Sugar: 4.2g | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 2mg