Loaded Veggie Breakfast Skillet
A jam-packed breakfast skillet with veggies, crispy potatoes eggs. Perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch.
- 450 g potatoes, scrubbed, skin on and cut into 2cm cubes I used Maris Piper, but any potato will do.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper, divided
- 1 small onion, (100g) cut in half then thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper (110g) pith and seeds removed then thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper (110g) pith and seeds removed then thinly sliced
- 230 g portobello mushroom (3 large mushrooms) wiped clean then sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- A scant 1/4 tsp dried red chilli flakes optional
- 90 g spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A small handful fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 2 spring onions chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Dried red chilli flakes
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C, 392F. I use an electric fan assisted oven, please adjust according to your own oven.Place the potatoes on a baking tray, pour over 2 tablespoons of oil add 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Toss well then bake in the oven for 30 minutes turning the potatoes halfway through cooking. While the potatoes are roasting, cook up the veggies.Heat the remaining oil in a skillet, add the onion and cook over a medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes.Add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Once the peppers are a little soft add the mushrooms, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Now add the spinach, I add half first, let that wilt down then add the remaining spinach. Add the lemon juice and stir well.
Once the potatoes are cooked transfer them to the skillet and give everything a good stir. Check the seasoning now and add more if necessary.
Make 4 little wells in the skillet, break one egg into each well. Place a lid over the skillet, this will help cook your eggs quicker. Once the eggs are cooked to your own taste turn off the heat.Sprinkle over the parsley and chopped spring onion and serve.
Serve with lemon wedges and more red chilli flakes if you like.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is based on 4 servings.
- I used a 25cm / 10 inch cast iron skillet. Any similar size pan will do.
- For this breakfast skillet I roasted the potatoes in the oven first to make this quicker, you can fry the potatoes in the skillet if you wish but it may take longer for the potatoes to cook.
- You can add any veggies you like to this, kale works well too.
- If you are serving this to young children or you are not keen on too much spice then you can omit the chilli flakes.
- To make this vegan, just omit the eggs.
- This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 11.4g | Fat: 15.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.2g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 971mg | Fiber: 4.8g | Sugar: 5.2g | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3.4mg