Ever get tired of chicken salad? Maybe you are in a chicken salad rut?! Well this recipe is the answer to all your chicken salad problems 😉 This za’atar Chicken with Spinach & Bean Salad is my go to salad at the moment, it’s ready in very little time, about 30 minutes, and with very little effort. Perfect! You may have noticed that I don’t actually like to be in the kitchen all day and like to prepare meals that are ready in 30 minutes or under!
If you’ve never heard of or used za’atar before don’t panic, you may find once you’ve used it once you’ll be using it on everything or maybe that’s just me?! So for the uninitiated; za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mix made with sesame seeds, oregano, marjoram, sumac and cumin, it gives food a tangy and herby flavour. It is available in most supermarkets or your local Middle Eastern food store, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding it. Or you could make your own, if you fancy doing that here is a recipe for home-made za’atar.
The spinach and bean salad that goes with this baked za’atar chicken is so fresh and zingy, with a little bit of heat and lots of heart healthy beans. This salad couldn’t be easier to make, you just add everything to a bowl, everything! Let it sit for a minute or two so the beans absorb some of the lime and olive oil, then serve it with the sliced chicken breasts and some good quality mayonnaise. This is a very satisfying meal on it’s own but I usually serve it with some good crusty bread, to mop up some of that lovely juiciness you may left on your plate 😉 This salad is great for entertaining friends or works very well cold for a packed lunch or picnic.
Za'tar Chicken with Spinach & Bean Salad
- FOR THE CHICKEN
- 2 large chicken breasts , skin off (400g)
- 1 heaped tsp za'atar spice mix
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- FOR THE SPINACH & BEAN SALAD
- 80 g spinach , washed
- 1 x400g can of mixed beans
- 150 g cucumber , roughly chopped
- 1/2 a medium red onion , finely chopped
- 1 avocado , chopped
- 1 red chili , deseeded and sliced thinly
- Juice & zest of one large lime
- A small handful of coriander leaves
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degree C (I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust to the oven you are using)
- In a small bowl mix the spice, oil and lemon juice.
- Place the chicken breasts in an oven proof dish, using a sharp knife score the chicken breasts a couple of times. Then rub in the spice mixture making sure the chicken is completely covered. Bake the chicken for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Leave the chicken to rest for about 10 minutes.
- To make the salad, add all the salad ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- Slice the chicken and serve with some good quality mayonnaise and some good bread.