Asparagus season has kicked off here in the UK and so I have a very tasty chargrilled asparagus salad for you today. Gorgeous chargrilled asparagus served with warm new season baby potatoes, hard boiled eggs, crisp radishes, a nutty manchego cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. Chargrilling the asparagus gives it a lovely nutty and sweet flavour, you really don’t need to do much else to it as the flavour is so delicious and you really don’t want to overwhelm that deliciousness with anything too strong. This is my favourite way to enjoy asparagus at the moment, and this salad went down really well with the whole family.
This meal comes together really quickly with little effort, it would be perfect as a light dinner or great as a nice weekend lunch. The manchego cheese is perfect with the nutty chargrilled asparagus but you could swap in parmesan cheese if you prefer. You could also quite easily make this dish vegan by leaving out the eggs, choosing a vegan hard cheese and omitting the honey from the dressing. You could also make this more of a meal my serving it with some grilled fish or chicken, you may want to omit the eggs if you do, but that’s totally up to you. The chargrilled asparagus is also great on it’s own, as a side with a little sea salt and a squeeze of lemon, can you tell how much I love this asparagus? The balsamic vinaigrette is light but has a little kick, you will probably have some left over if you do keep it in a jar in the fridge, use it for salads, and it will keep for up to a week
If you are living in the UK you may notice that your asparagus is not as straight as what you are used to, you might find it is a little bit wonky, well apparently this is due to the warm early Spring we have been enjoying. But don’t let this put you off, it still tastes just as good and some supermarkets are selling this at reduced prices, so good news for savvy shoppers.
Chargrilled Asparagus Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 300 g new season baby potatoes , cut in half lengthways
- 4 L free range eggs
- 350 g asparagus
- 30 g manchego cheese
- 50 g radishes , sliced thinly
- 3 spring onions , sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- A pinch each of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 lemon (optional)
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 25 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp runny honey
- A small pinch each of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Boil the potatoes, when they are cooked drain them and leave in the saucepan with the lid on to keep them warm.
- Boil the eggs to your own preference, I went for hard boiled but soft boiled would be good too. When the eggs are cooked, peel and cut in half lengthways.
- Trim the woody ends off the asparagus and shave off any knobbly bits then brush with the olive oil.
- Heat a griddle pan on high, place the asparagus on the griddle and cook each side for about 5 minutes, this will depend on the thickness of the asparagus spears, the thicker they are the longer they will need to cook.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk the vinegar into the extra virgin olive oil then whisk in the honey and seasoning. Set aside until you are ready to serve.
- To serve place the asparagus on the potatoes, add the radishes, eggs and spring onions. Add the chargrilled asparagus and top with generous shavings of manchego cheese then serve with the balsamic vinaigrette and a squeeze of lemon if you like.